CHAPTER 3

The first few days in the Saint Augustines orphanage were trying for Abigail since she was still healing both emotionally and physically. Her wounds were still fresh. Some of the other kids tried to talk to her and catch her attention but she absent mindedly ignored them all.

Only one of the kid managed to break through her wall of silence and make her talk. Sargeous Baka, a tall curly haired black American boy managed to make her talk.

Abigail sat alone at her little table two days after she was brought to the orphanage and introduced to her brothers and sisters to be.

Mrs Shanny had told the other kids to be friendly to her. Their definition of friendly was abit weird. Nobody seemed aware of her presence. As she drew little zigzags on her pie Sergious appeared in front of her, she hadn't seen him come. "Hey... Why sit alone?" Sergious asked her with a large smile forming on his little face, his white teeth reflecting rays of light to Abigail's eyes.

Ode a fat kid considered the bully in the family passed and intentionally stepped on Abigail's foot she did not flinch, "Stop that!" Sergious said as his tone rose and his eyes locked on the fat bully.

Abigail's hero was here.

Since Sergious was the oldest in the orphanage and had already broken his voice as the signs of adolescence had started getting more and more visible, he radiated authority. All the other kids respected him. "Say sorry!" He said and the little fat bully heeded.

Sergious had been in the orphanage since he could remember. Mrs Shanny had told him he was left at the orphanage door in a polythene paper without even the slightest clothing. He was taken in as the first kid in the orphanage.

Abigail had made a friend. Though they were six years apart Abby and Sergious acted like age mates.

But the wounds in Abigail's soul were still fresh. Her anger flared from time to time, nightmares and convulsions. Never ending questions ringing and revolving in her mind.

Sergious came to not only be her best friend but also a distraction from her traumatic memories of her fathers shooting.

True friendship never dies. Some years later they would come to discover a cure that would revolutionise the pharmacy and medical sector.