Prologue

Catie's POV:

I rolled to my side on the bed to look at my clock. 7:42. What a painful Sunday.

Every Sunday was surely painful, though. Just like every Monday-Saturday was. Why? Well, it was simply love that stabbed my heart with its invisible daggers.

He doesn't notice me.

This seems like every single lonely girl's sob story, but it isn't. I was definitely in love with him, and he definitely didn't notice me, I think. But the odd thing is: one fake wish made me travel across the world.

Seems extreme? Yeah, it was. Too extreme. It all started with my birthday, too. I was waiting.

I knew this birthday would be different.

That was... maybe 22 minutes ago.

My mother walked in at 7:20; I remember peering at my clock before I raised up and looked at my mother, who had a bit of sorrowful eyes.

She sat at the edge of my bed and motioned for me to sit next to her by tapping beside her. It was odd, mostly because she was looking at me the whole time. She usually doesn't give me this much contact.

I did as she asked and sat at the end off my bed. I played with my fingers, waiting for her to speak.

She opened her mouth but nothing came out, so she closed it.

"Don't be mad." She said quickly.

I looked at her with suspicion. What was she up to now?

"Your father and I are getting a promotion," she started, "and it's a very good one. The only thing is, we have to go too a series of meetings in Washington D.C. We have to leave tomorrow and we will be gone for a month."

My mouth dropped. "You're missing my birthday?!"

She winced.

"Ok. So while you are at Washington World, for a month, I have to be stuck in this house! For a month! Alone! How am I not supposed to be mad?!" I snapped. I never talked like that to my parents. Do I get 30 lashings? No, surprisingly.

She looked at her lap and played with her fingers. "I'm sorry, Catie. We will have your present though," her eyes lit up, "and you'll like it." She smiled, with a sorry.

"So is Dad going to say goodbye or is he ecstatic about going to the president's lair too?"

"You know how he is. He isn't good-"

"with sorrowful words, I know."

"We are leaving early in the morning. I came up here to tell you goodbye." She smiled sheepishly.

I sighed. "Bye. Can you shut the door on your way out?"

That was my invisible cue saying I wanted her out of my room. Maybe I overreacted a little bit a lot but it was aggravating.

A whole house to myself. Yay.

It wasn't very cool for them to leave on such short notice, and on my birthday. Who misses their daughter's birthday? Oh yeah, my parents.

My mom got up and left. Just like that. She did close the door though, so I could thank her for giving me this time. This time where I sink my face in my pillow and cry.

I'm not usually an emotional- actually I'm very emotional. Yes call me emo.

And this is all because of love.

7:26. Sixteen more minutes and I'll be rolling over to see a very weird man.

But first I'm going to explain that the person I love is the one and only Kim Samuel. I wanted nothing more than just for him to notice me. Even if he spit on my face, I would embrace the time. It seems weird, but you would too.

He was the good boy of the school. He had the coolest parties (wasn't invited of course), he had the prettiest girlfriends, the best clothes, and the most popular friends.

A couple of times he would give me a friendly smile in the halls that made my heart flutter, but he has never talked to me.

I turn sixteen in about four hours and thirty minutes. I have no one spending it with me. Maybe Charlotte? No. She's a narcissist, she won't.

Again it's not a sob story. I could care less if someone celebrates my birthday. But this was my sweet sixteen. Normal girls would be planning a birthday event for months. Not me because what's the point.

7:42. This moment I rolled over on my bed. There was a man.

I remember screaming, and maybe throwing a couple of pillows. He didn't budge, but kept a smug grin on his face.

I huddled up at the headboard of the bed and wrapped my arms around my knees and tried to speak, but nothing would come out.

"Don't say it." He said. "Just let me give you this sweet sixteen."

-------
Welcome to the book! I edited this chapter and it's good to go! I hope.

Anyway I really appreciate votes, they make my day, so if you could press that little star then please do.