Chapter 12

Catie's POV:

I mumbled obscenities under my breath as I walked around my empty house. I still haven't heard from my parents and it's been about a month. I try to call them everyday but I don't get anything from them. The only thing my phone ever shows anymore is notifications from Twitter and the Ape-shit group chat.

Jennie broke up with Joshua but they still remain friends. We all do. We talk everyday in the group chat, mostly playing the dozens and trying to make each other cry but fail. Samuel comes to see me everyday to see if I'm okay and I end up inviting him in and making him tea or coffee to set the distant, unspoken 'mood'. He tells me that I have changed. It's true. I used to freak out when I saw him but now they are minorities like blushing and occasionally squeaking when he tries to show his body, which he does a lot. It is not normal.

Everytime he comes over he cuddles with me and asked if I have contacted my parents yet. I give him the same, boring answer of 'nope'. Samuel has been really supportive about my parent situation, alike the Ape-shit Club. Erwin has been talking way more and I want to rip his tongue out just like I want to rip Joshua's lips right off him. There is still awkward heat between Samuel and Joshua, but they are friends again, and that's enough.

As I mumbled these curses while walking through my halls I saw that my perents' room door was open. It was open before they left too and I haven't looked in it or touched the knob once. My curiosity trailed my fingers to door and pushed it the rest of the way open. I looked inside. It was messy, like they weren't planning to leave. If they ever come back I was thinking of many ways to scold them and tell them I want new parents. I dreamed terrible dreams of how they would react. I was scared they would acually do it, but I was more scared they wouldn't.

I walked through the ruins of my mother and father's resting place, or what used to be. The closet was open, there was clothes on the floor and there was a bed with an open laptop, with two phones scattered on the keyboard, completely dead. They never leave the laptop or the phones there. I took both of them and ran downstairs with the electronics bouncing in my arms. I bolted to the kitchen and set the devices on the table.

I frantically looked around for the laptop's charger. My legs took me upstairs to the bedroom again to find the charger scattered on the floor, in front of their open dresser drawers. I stopped in my tracks before running back. There was a note. Note? Oh no. I grabbed it violently and opened in to reveal a long collection of writings that I could barely read because the cursive was too on point.

To our Sunshine,

I know we left and you are mad. We had to but don't worry, Samuel will take care of you. I know he will. Of course you would wonder in our room at some point, knowing you. This note is a simple goodbye that we didn't say before.

The reasons that we left are confidential and only four people on this earth will know it, Samuel, us, and you. We left because what the companies did. They made us steal important credits of famous people without us having any clue. Your father and I left with no time to explain. We will tell you the rest on the laptop.

We talked to Samuel on the phone real quick and he promised to take care of you. Right to when you're finished with the note burn it. After your done with the laptop and phones, crush them.

Samuel is the only thing you have left and he loves you.

04-32-09

What? Samuel knew?!

I ran back down the stairs with the note and the charger and plugged in the computer. I didn't wait for it to charge; I took the note and ran to Samuel's house. I arrived at the front door and knocked as hard as I could.