Chapter 13: Balrog

The Balrog, was a massive creature risen from a chasm, a great 40 foot man-beast, surrounded by flames. Celeste looked behind her as she ran, an idea forming in her head but she wasn't sure if it would work. Aragorn lead the fellowship to the top of a stairway. Gandalf leaned on his staff, clearly tired, Aragorn looked at him in concern.

"Lead them on, Aragorn. The bridge is near." Gandalf said, but Aragorn hesitated, "Do as I say, swords are no more use here." Aragorn nodded and the Fellowship began running down the stairs.

"Gandalf, is that thing made of fire?" Celeste asked as they ran.

"Yes. Why?" Gandalf looked at the young girl, "There is nothing you can do here Celeste. He is made of hell fire. The hottest and strongest fire there is." Celeste merely nodded already set on her plan. Suddenly there was a large gap in the stairs. Legolas quickly picked up Celeste and leapt across the gap, Dur followed. Boromir picked up Pippin and jumped across with him. Aragorn then threw Merry across, then Sam. Gandalf jumped across on his own. Aragorn turned to throw Gimli but he backed away a bit.

"Nobody tosses a dwarf!" He said and jumped across. He barely made it and was about to fall but Legolas quickly jumped forward and grabbed him by the beard, "Not the beard!" He yelled as Legolas pulled him. Suddenly the stairs Aragorn and Frodo are on give way a bit, making the gap even wider.

"You have to jump! Now!" Celeste warned as the Balrog seemed to get closer. Aragorn picked up Frodo and jumped across with him just as the stairs fell away into the chasm. The Fellowship run as fast as they can, Celeste slowly falling behind on purpose. Celeste quickly dodged to the side as a line of fire seemed to appear out of nowhere to split the room.

"Over the bridge! Fly!" Gandalf ordered, they were almost there. Gandalf had stopped to look at the fire just as the Balrog jumped through the flames and roared.

"Gandalf, go!" Celeste yelled and pushed the old man just as the balrog tried to swing at him.

"Celeste, what are you doing? Get across the bridge!" Gandalf argued.

"I have to try!" Celeste was running and pulling the old man with her.

"No Celeste, it's hell fire-"

"Gandalf! I have to try to save everyone!" Gandalf realized that Celeste was trying to make up for not being able to save her people. Celeste turned around and faced the Balrog.

"Celeste!" Everyone on the other side of the bridge yelled. Celeste took a deep breath and focused on the heat of the balrog as it ran closer and closer. Celeste brought her hands up, and just like putting out a normal fire, she thought about sucking all heat from the flames. Celeste struggled to get it, but eventually the flames from the balrog began to flow into Celeste's hand, and the creature yelled in pain. But it soon got too much for the elemental and the fire began to extend past her hands, it crawled up her arms and all over her body. Celeste screamed in pain as the heat overwhelmed her, but she didn't stop. She continued to suck the fire from the balrog until it stumbled back towards the flames it had created to split the room. Celeste slowly turned around and looked at everyone. She was completely surrounded by fire herself and her eyes were glowing yellow. She gave everyone a smile, the young girl was proud of herself for protecting everyone. Suddenly something bright red began flow out of her nose, then her mouth, and then her ears and her smile vanished. She collapsed to the ground, the fire that had surrounded her was extinguished. Gandalf quickly picked her up and ran halfway across the bridge where Durmragha met him. Durmragha looked down at his little companion and began crying as he took her from Gandalf's arms. She was barely breathing and the blood wouldn't stop.

"Gandalf! It's coming back!" Aragorn yelled. The balrog had retreated only for a second to gain more of its fire back. Dur quickly ran across the bridge and everyone looked at the young girl then back at Gandalf. The old wizard was facing off against the Balrog.

"You cannot pass!" Gandalf yelled.

"Gandalf!" Frodo screamed.

"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun." The Balrog put one foot on the bridge and stood up straight, it spread its wings from wall to wall, "Go back to the shadow!" The balrog roared at the wizard, "You shall not pass!!" Gandalf raised his sword and staff together and brought them down hard on the bridge. The thin bridge broke in half under the balrog's feet. The stone and the balrog drop away into the chasm below. Gandalf turns around and smiles at the group as he leans on his staff for support. Frodo is just about to run to him when suddenly a whip curled around Gandalf's ankle. Gandalf looks down in surprise just as the Balrog pulls him down. Gandalf just manages to hang on by his fingertips.

"Gandalf!" Frodo yelled and tried to run to him but Aragorn grabbed him before he could.

"Fly, you fools!" Gandalf said just before he let go of his grip and fell, following the balrog into the abyss. Frodo cried and tried to continue to get to the bridge but Boromir scooped him up and carried him away. The Fellowship ran out of the mines and into daylight.