twenty-five | forgetting

—October 31st

Luke opened his eyes, finding himself in a small room with floral patterned lamps and a bed with pale, purple colored sheets. There were stuffed toys and books arranged on a wooden shelf next to him and the whole room had the familiar aroma of pears. And the second he breathed in the fruity scent, he knew where he was. He was in Riley's room.

He no longer saw the blurred light he had seen before, but instead he saw everything in bright and vivid colors. He could see all the shades of purple that Riley loved and he could see the rays of the sun peeking in through her window. And unfortunately, that's how Luke knew this a dream.

The warmth of the sun, the softness of the bed, none of it was there. He was in a false reality that he created, and even though he knew it was fake, he still hoped. He still hoped he would see her. And when he looked to his left, he did.

There she was with her dark hair flowing down her back. Her eyes full of life and her smile wide, as she sat at her desk, looking at him with the brightest expression he had ever seen. She was everything he remembered and loved. 

"Where were you?" She said, as she got up from her seat. "I missed you Luke." These were the words he wanted to hear, the words he had prayed that she would say when he saw him. And when he heard those words he forgot that he was in a dream and hugged her as tightly as he could, hoping they could stay like that forever. He couldn't feel the silkiness of her hair or her small figure leaning against him, but he just knew it was there. He just knew that it felt right.

She looked up at him and grinned. "Did you miss me too?" She asked with that innocent smile of hers.

"Yes, yes, yes," he repeated the word like a promise to her. "I missed you Riley. So much." And he smiled back at her too. The first real smile in months. Everything just felt so perfect at that moment when he smiled at her. Him holding her, knowing that he was missed and that she was still there, it was so perfect. Too perfect.

"Then... Why Luke?" Riley said with a sad and lonely voice. She pushed him away and then Luke realized he was no longer in his girlfriend's room. He was on the side of a road with cars rushing past him in the evening light. And Riley was now meters away from him, standing on the opposite side of the road. He looked left and right trying to find a way to reach her, but all he saw were bright lights and rushing colors.

"Why what?" He asked with fear in his voice, his eyes still trying to find a way to get to her. But Riley only shook her head in disappointment at his question.

"C'mon Luke, you really don't know?!" She angrily shouted from across the street. Her hands were tightly clenched, forming fists at her side. "How can you forget?!"

"Riley, what do you mean? What did I forget?!" Luke asked desperately , his head suddenly beginning to throb. "What did I forget?!"

Tears started to form in her eyes as she heard his words. "Really Luke? You don't know? You don't know how you hurt me?" These were not the words Luke wanted to hear. These were the words he had hoped she would never have to say to him. 

"Riley, please tell me!" She shook her head again in response to Luke's pleads, offended that he still didn't know what he did wrong.

"Michael's party," she said sternly, taking one step closer to the road.

"Riley, stop!" Luke screamed as he stretched out his arm trying to pull her to him.

"Remember Luke. Remember that night!" She demanded, taking one more step closer to the incoming cars.

Luke tried to run to her, but his feet were stuck to the ground. "No! No! Stop it! Riley, step back!" He called out so loud he could feel his throat straining to keep up with his voice.

"I'm sorry Luke, but this time, I can't let you forget." And that was the last thing Riley said before she took her third step into the street. A red car got closer and closer to her until all Luke could see was a dark crimson color blurring his vision.

Luke woke up in the middle of screaming her name. He could feel sweat dripping down his forehead and down his neck. His hands were clammy and his breathing was harsh and uneven. And then soon he heard nurses walking in and asking him questions. But he couldn't hear their words, as all he could hear was Riley's voice yelling at him, telling him to remember. 

"What am I forgetting?" He asked himself. The nurses were confused by his question and tried to comfort him, but Luke wanted none of that. "Get out!" He told them, tears in his eyes as he pushed them away. And the nurses did just that as they quickly filed out of his room, whispering to each other, wondering whether or not to call the doctor.

"Goddamn it!" Luke shouted, throwing a pillow across the room. "What was it?!" The red car, the bright headlights, the sound of vehicles rushing up and down the road. It was all so familiar to him as he tried to recall it,  but part of his brain refused to tell him what it was.

"Riley..." Luke said softly. "Why aren't you here to tell me?" The last time Luke heard Riley's voice was before his operation. After that she never came to see him, not even when they heard his treatment was a failure did she see him. "She must be so disappointed in me," Luke whispered to himself.

"I'm sorry Riley, please come back," he sobbed, his voice echoing down the hospital halls. "I'll never disappoint you again, just please come back to me. Tell me everything is okay, Riley. Please Riley. Please don't leave me alone, Riley. I love you so much." He hugged his knees as he cried. And he cried for who knows how long until the doctor came and gave him his medication. But even when Luke finally went back to sleep, he could feel the tears in his eyes.

-

a/n: i got sad vibes just from writing this