twenty-nine | hurt

—December 14th—

Every night before she fell asleep, Rowan wondered if she could ever truly love Luke Hemmings. Loyal, handsome, kind, and adoring; he was the kind of guy that girls would end friendships for. He was so good, so so good. And he loved her so much, of course he didn't love her, he wanted Riley. But indirectly, Rowan was loved.

He held her hand, he told her sweet words, and he craved her. And Rowan found herself beginning to crave him as well. She wanted to touch him, tell him reassuring words, and hold him. But it was not love she felt for him, but desire. And desire was a much safer feeling than love. Desire was a "want", not a "need". It was something purely to fill her heart. Love was dangerous. Love was more than wanting. Love was begging, needing, and hoping. It was something that would intoxicate her mind.

Before, Drew was the poison in Rowan's mind. He was the one she dreamed of being with. She thought maybe Luke could be what Drew was. Her need, her passion, her goal.

So every time she saw him, she would get a little bit closer to him. The first time, she was indifferent, purely there because she had to, and the second week was the same. The third time however, she was warm. She squeezed his hand so tight and she hung on to every word he said to her. And even though they were meant for a different girl, she still took them to heart.

He was so lovely and so honest and she didn't want to hurt him. Luke deserved better than this. But what Luke deserved was not what he wanted. He wanted Riley. He had always wanted her. So that's what Michael had given him, an echo of the girl he loved.

Being the living lie that hurt Luke everyday made Rowan feel awful. Every time she left his room she was filled with regrets, but every time she walked into that room, she was filled with pleasure. Filled with the pleasure of being needed.

Yesterday, was similar to the week before. They talked, they laughed, and they smiled. And of course, they lied. Luke fibbed about how great he was doing and Rowan lied about every damn thing happening around them.

It was a bad match. The blind boy with high hopes and too much love, and the bitter girl with a lonely heart and little consideration for her actions.

Two people with little idea of what they were doing.

Two people who could only hurt the other.

-

a/n: i know this chapter was half the length than my regular chapters, but i felt like if i made it longer it would've been lower quality

thank you