Prompt #15

Prompt: Maybe a prompt where after the Academy, Jin and Kai run into some of Jin's old high school bullies? I'd be interested to see what would happen!

-------------------------------------------------

                "Quit bitching. Air mattresses aren't that bad," I said.

                "You're stealing my bed," Jin said.

                I gestured to my bad leg, which was currently stretched out in front of me. "I can't sleep on the air mattress. It's uncomfortable for my leg."

                "I don't care," Jin said. "I want my bed back. Go home."

                "You're the one who invited me to stay at your place for a few days," I said. "Deal with it."

                Jin nudged my coffee to me. "Drink this so you're wide awake tonight and I can actually sleep in my bed."

                I picked up the coffee and took a sip. I was spending a few days at Jin's house, and he wasn't happy that I was claiming his bed. He'd asked his mom to help set up an air mattress for when I came, but realized too late that I couldn't sleep on it.

                We were currently at Jin's favorite coffee shop. Jin told me that when he was trying to quit drinking, he'd come here have coffee instead.

                It was a nice day out, so we were sitting at one of the outside tables. It was quiet, and I was grateful Jin knew when this coffee shop had rushes and quiet points.

                "Can we go to the lake after this?" I said.

                "I don't care," Jin said. "Can you even swim?"

                "Not anymore," I said, glaring at him. "It's hard to swim with just one leg. But I can still sit by the water, dumbass."

                "Shut up," Jin said.

                We were both a little surprised as someone suddenly flipped Jin's hat off. The hat hit the ground and we heard snickers, turning to face the assholes behind us.

                "Still alive, Amano?" one of them said. "Thought your liver would've given out by now."

                Jin held up his coffee. "Does this look like alcohol to you?"

                "Bet he's drunk right now," the other said.

                "I wish I was. Then I could actually tolerate you bothering me," Jin said, picking his hat up and pulling it back down over his white hair.

                "And who's this, Jin? Did you of all people actually make a friend?" one said in surprise.

                "Probably his dealer," the other one said, laughing.

                "Let me guess, you guys were part of this phase of his life?" I said, yanking Jin's shirt to reveal the scar on his collarbone.

                Jin pushed my hand away. "Shut up. That's Kevin, and that's Alex. They're just high school douchebags I'll forget about by college."

                "Jin in college, drinking away his life," Alex said, snickering.

                "Aw, were the kids in school mean to you? Why don't you go running to your bitch of a mom, just like always," Kevin said, smacking the back of Jin's head. "I'd tell you to go running to your dad, but we all know he doesn't give a shit about you."

                I picked up my cane and swung, whacking Kevin in the side with it. He yelped and stumbled away from me in surprise.

                "Aw, was Jin's dealer mean to you?" I said in surprise. "Why don't you go running to your bitch of a mom. I doubt she's a nice lady if you're her offspring."

                "Damn, Jin's so lame he needs a bodyguard," Alex said, but he kept a safe distance from me.

                "Okay, am I your dealer, your bodyguard, or your boyfriend?" I said to Jin. "These guys are really confusing me here."

                "Shut up," Jin said. He was trying to stay impassive, but I saw the slightest curve of his lips.

                I turned to Kevin and Alex. "Hey, assholes? Go away. I'm trying to drink coffee and enjoy my day."

                "Dick," Kevin grumbled.

                I lifted my cane, satisfied when he took a cautious step away from me. "You came here to terrorize a guy who literally did nothing wrong, but I'm the dick? Fuck off. You two are pathetic. And coming from a cripple who dates a repressed, recovering alcoholic, that's saying something."

                They glanced at each other before shooting us a glare and heading inside the coffee shop. I leaned back in my seat, setting my cane against the table.

                Jin shook his head at me. "That was a waste of time."

                "They used to bully you," I said.

                "I don't care," he said.

                I held my hand out to him and he took it. He kept his gaze on his coffee, not looking over at the coffee shop.

                "You might not care, but hitting that guy sure as hell made me feel better," I said.

                That slight curve of his lips, barely noticeable. "Shut up. You're still not getting my bed tonight."

                I knew that was a lie. I knew Jin and I would look out for each other in little ways and big ones.

                "Drink your coffee," I said, pushing it at him. "I want to go to the lake."

                He gripped my hand a little tighter as he picked up his coffee. "I don't care," he said, but he drank it pretty damn fast.

                When we walked away from the coffee shop, we kept our hands linked together. Neither of us looked back.