20. Drifts

The snows continued. Heloise, Alifair and Hannah tried to visit Astrid as much as they could but it wasn't always possible. Then there came a real hard snow and with it something far more sinister.

/

It was ice cold outside and unable to bear the frigid winds any longer Pharaoh advised they look for shelter. They had been on the trail for months and neither wished to face Kincaid empty handed. It started off as a difficult task but it became easier the more north they went. Conductors and crew members remembered the white Negro girl. Once they reached New York they had been informed that the girls had taken a train to Maine. No one suspected Benedict Columbus, a charismatic officer, to be out for blood.

Where in Maine remained the question and with all awash in ice and snow it was clear that their search would have to wait. In Newport, they hastened to find shelter before both they and the dogs froze to death in the unforgiving weather.

/

The Longmire house was cozy. Mrs. Longmire tended her birds while Astrid sat before the hearth wrapped up like she was going outside. She kept her mitten covered hands wrapped around a mug of hot tea, stealing the warmth through her palms. Dr. Longmire was out visiting patients despite the cold and his wife kept glancing worriedly at the window waiting his return.

A knock sounded at the back door and she got her hopes up. Touching Astrid on the shoulder she hurried to answer it.

"Clem, what on earth!" Astrid heard her exclaim. Even from the small sitting room she could feel the cold drifting in through the open door.

"They need a place to stay," she heard the voice of the doctor.

"You poor things, you must be frozen to death." She heard the door close the door then the sound of many feet across the hardwood floors. "I'll make you something warm right away."

"No, ma'am we couldn't impose."

"Nonsense. You'll eat and thaw yourself out."

The southern drawl made Astrid sit up. It was so strange to hear one in these parts. She stiffly got up from the rocking chair and inched her way toward the kitchen at the back of the house. Careful not to make too much noise she slowly peeped around the door jamb. She could see Mrs. Longmire poring hot water from the kettle and the doctor helping the strangers out of their coats. Two dogs, one black and one white, sniffed at the floor, licking up melted snow.

"Hear drink this," Mrs. Longmire said forcing the mugs into the hands of the men.

The white dog suddenly raised its ears and snarled. Astrid backed up when she realized the beast's intent was on her.

"Down, Blanche," Pharaoh warned his dog.

"Astrid, dear you shouldn't be up," Mrs. Longmire said. The men both looked in the girl's direction and a strange recognition passed between them.

"I see you already have a house guests," Benedict said. "If there is no room we can look elsewhere."

"Oh it's just the one child," the doctor said. "Besides, I couldn't turn you away in with a good conscience. It's spitting snow out there. You're likely to catch your deaths." He lit a pipe and offered some tobacco to the wayfaring strangers, inviting them to sit.

Astrid started coughing and Mrs. Longmire hurried to her side guiding her into the upstairs bedroom. Coughs rocked her body as Mrs. Longmire helped into bed.

"Mrs. Longmire...that man...I know him."

"Shhh, child. I want you to get some rest. I'll bring your supper up shortly."