30. Saddle Up

The heat from Miriam's soup warmed her face as it sat before her. She looked up from the bowl at her sister. "Is this really necessary?"

"Rather or not if it's necessary is not the issue," Taitiann said. "It's being responsible."

"It's dangerous," Miriam said. "Not the sort of thing a respectable young woman should do."

"Under normal circumstances, Miriam I would agree with you but these are dire circumstances and I think one of us should accompany him. Seeing as you are inexperienced in the saddle I volunteer myself."

Selene smiled. "She makes a good point, Miriam. Mr. St. Cloud might need to know more about our family and what better way than to have Taitiann there."

Miriam shook her head. "I don't believe the two of you are ganging up against me. What do you have to say, Astrid?"

The youngest present shrugged her shoulders. "Whatever is best."

Miriam scoffed. "But Mr. St. Cloud, he is ever so awful. I can't stand him."

"I shall speak evil of no one," Astrid said finishing off her soup.

Miriam sighed. "Fine then. If you feel it is absolutely necessary then go. I can't see how I could stop you at this point anyway."

"Thank you, Miriam!" Taitiann said jumping up from her seat and hugging her sister. "I promise to do all I can." She took up her bowl and headed to the door.

"Where are you going?" Miriam asked.

"To tell Mr. St. Cloud," Taitiann said. "He'll be leaving first thing in the morning. He thinks he knows someone who can read the scroll." She hurried out the west parlor door leaving it open.

"Everyone has lost their minds," Miriam said stirring her soup.

"I think it is very brave what she is doing," Selene said. "And anything to help..."

"Yes," Miriam said. "But you must start thinking realistically. This case could go on for years. What will become of you then?"

Selene frowned. "Why do you single me out?"

Miriam helped herself to her soup then dabbed her mouth. "Mr. Jackson son asked me about you," she said and Selene looked down. "He asked me if you were being courted and I of course said no." She eyed her sister suspiciously. "He's a very nice young man and God-fearing."

Selene sucked her teeth. "There are plenty of nice young God-fearing men."

"Of color?" Miriam questioned with the raising of her brow. "I dare you to try and find one who isn't taken in these parts."

Selene dared to look her sister in the eyes. "It shouldn't matter to you," she said. "You aren't staying here. So what do you care what any of us do?"

"What does she mean?" Astrid asked Miriam who had no immediate answer.

"Tell her or I will," Selene said and when Miriam stayed silent she turned to Astrid. "Miriam wants to leave us."

"What?" Astrid said in astonishment and turned to her eldest sister. "Is this true? Why do you want to leave us? I thought you'd be happy we were all together."

"Enough, Astrid," Miriam said, getting up from her chair. "Really, Selene I thought you would handle this more maturely."

"You mean like you've done?" Selene stood. "You haven't said a kind word to anyone since you've been here. You try to make everyone live the way you think they should and you never listen to me."