23. To Oklahoma

The mornings at the St. Cloud residence typically went by the same. Servants would rise first and prepare the house for their employers. Occasionally someone would receive a visitor all who never stopped being curios about the Fairchild sisters. Selene and Taitiann worked hard. Miriam no longer objected to their work; preferring not to be seen. Word had spread that the sisters were good seamstresses and friends of the St. Clouds recommended friends keeping them busy throughout most of the day.

Taitiann arranged the clothes in piles so they could be uniformly returned to their owners as Selene worked the sewing machine. Taitiann carefully pinned the surname onto the top article of clothing, checking everything twice. When she noticed a stray stack of shirts she looked over her shoulder at her sister.

"Who's are these?"

Selene wiped her forehead and looked up. "Mr. St Cloud's shirts."

Taitiann picked up the top shirt and examined it. "Ira St. Cloud?"

"Jessop St. Cloud, I'm afraid. I didn't think he'd want our services but his mother forced them on me."

Taitiann refolded the shirt. "He'll be gone back to Louisiana soon."

Selene nodded. "I don't know if I should consider that a relief or not." She shrugged. "Better get his shirts to him. We wouldn't want him accusing us of thievery."

Taitiann took the shirts in her arm, then picked up a basket that contained a client's clothing. "I haven't given up on him."

Selene smiled weakly. "You're always so strong."

Taitiann sighed. "I'll take these on over to the owner," she said nodding to the basket. "You think Miriam will want to come with me?"

"I haven't spoken to her," Selene said. "She won't even come out the room."

"I'll ask anyways," Taitiann said. She left the parlor and walked the short distance down the hall to the room that Miriam used. Setting down the basket she knocked on the door. "Miriam, I'm going out do you want to come with me?" When there wasn't an answer she knocked again. "It isn't snowing...we could—"

"No thank you."

"Well...are...are you sure?"

"I don't want to go anywhere. Just go away."

Taitiann stood at the closed door for a moment longer then picked up the basket and went on her way. Before leaving the house she decided to return Jessop his shirts. When she got to his rooms he was coming out his office. She set the basket down and hurried up to him in the hall. "Mr. St. Cloud. I noticed you were on your way out, but I wanted to give you these."

Jessop had been staring her down but now his eyes went to what she had in her arms. "My shirts," he said taking the top one and letting the folds fall out. "I've been looking for this, it was torn and I needed to have it fixed." He took it by the arm and examined the seam that had been damaged. Upon seeing nothing he checked under the other arm. "It's fixed." He glanced at her. "You can't even tell it was torn. Did you do this?"

Taitiann shook her head. "My sister, Selene. I hope we didn't offend you...we hadn't asked and—"

"This is my favorite shirt." He stuffed his room key in his pocket and proceeded to unbutton the shirt he was wearing.

Taitiann reared back as he exposed his naked flesh. She was surprised he was so pale underneath.

Jessop put on the other shirt and fastened the buttons. Smoothing it down over his chest he held out his arms. "It still fits nice too. Did you repair these too?" He took the remaining two garments. "You know I have other clothing that could use fixing."