35. A Musical Interlude

Jessop watched the coach teams trot of in the rain away from the churchyard. His parents, brother, uncle and aunt and cousin were in them but his mother had insisted he stay behind until they sent the coaches back for the Fairchild sisters. The youngest had left with his parents, fitting in on his mother's lap.

The remaining six would have to wait; however, until they returned unless they wanted to get soaked in the rain. A few members of the congregation took their chances and road off in the wagons and open buckboards and as the last left Jessop turned and went back inside the house of worship.

"You ought to tell my mother that a little rain won't make you melt," he said as he walked the aisle.

"We don't mind waiting," Selene said. "Besides, it is very kind of your mother to take our health into consideration."

Jessop flopped down on the bench before the organ. "I suppose all mothers fret. I reckon that's what comes with being a mother."

"My mother worried just the same," Astrid said from the pews. "I miss her."

"Well we'll be able to see her again very soon," Selene said.

Astrid stood and walked into the aisle. "Mr. St. Cloud will you play a song for us please?"

Jessop looked at the girl in wonder. He racked his brain for the exact moment he had told any of them he played. "Let me guess, Jethro?"

"Oh but he sounded so proud of you!" Astrid said.

Jessop turned and looked at the organ. His baby grand sat dusty and unused in his music room along with all of his other instruments. He had long lost his love to play but on this rainy Sunday he felt the organ calling him like an old friend.

Astrid sat down next to him on the bench. "If you play, I'll sing."

Jessop felt a smile tug at the corner of his mouth, but he repressed it. He turned to a random page in the hymn book. "Do you know that one?" he asked and Astrid nodded. He studied the keys for moment then positioned his hands. The chords to I Love to Tell the Story escaped from the instrument with the voice of Astrid alone at first before she was joined by Jessop.

None of the other sisters said a word as the words filled the room to capacity before spinning into the wet outdoors. They played and sang song after song and no one noticed the time go by. When they finished O Dem Golden Slippers Jessop shook his head.

"You know just about every hymnal in the book!" he said.

"I like to sing," Astrid said. "I used to sing all the time back home."

"Astrid was adored by the entire congregation," Taitiann said from behind them.

Astrid ran her fingers over the keys. "Do you think you could teach me how to play a piano, Mr. St. Cloud?"

"Well this here is an organ, Rabbit and I hardly play anymore myself."

"Maybe you should start again," Heloise said from the pews. "You do seem happy when you play. It's like when I'm writing a poem or a song."

Astrid nodded her head with enthusiasm. "Will you teach me? I promise to be a good student."

Jessop was about to make an excuse when he heard the coach wheels splashing in the mud. "We'll we had better be off then," he said getting up and putting on his raincoat. He closed up after the sisters and waited until each was in the coach before mounting his own horse and riding alongside it.