31. Magnolia State of Mind

Heloise was surprised Mrs. Sales had kept them so long. It was clear she didn't want to let the girls go but time was of the essence. If she insisted on another week, the sisters agreed to leave on foot. Fortunately she had not done so, and now they were once again on a southbound train; this time as passengers and not stowaways. They were to stay at the house of a family friend of Mrs. Sales who was also an advocate for human rights.

It took roughly seventeen hours to get down the coast and to Mississippi. The change in the weather was evident. A dusty white covered everything in the mid-January morning,  but winter hadn't sapped the pleasant awareness of life all around them.

"Mississippi!" Hannah shouted as they climbed down from the Banks' carriage. "I wonder what it looks like in the summer. Oh to see summer again! The birds all gay, magnolia in bloom, delicious berries! Oh I miss summer terribly!"

"Quiet with the theatrics, Hannah you'll draw attention to us," Alifair said looking around. There didn't seem to be any other homes in sight but still she remained cautious.

The Banks took them inside where the girls could wash up from their journey. Mrs. Banks fortunately was far less talkative than her friend Mrs. Sales. Night fell quickly and cold but by then the girls were already well settled in. Tomorrow they would search for their father. Mr. Banks had promised to help and for that they were grateful. None of them even knew how to search for a person who had been imprisoned.

"Papa will be so happy to see us," Hannah said as they lied in bed. "And Mama too. I'm gonna tell her all of what we saw. New York and dachshund sausages, the frozen lake in Maine. It's all so exciting isn't it?"

"Hannah, go to sleep," Alifair moaned. "Aren't you tired?"

"I'm too excited to sleep!" Hannah declared standing up on the bed. "Just think how they will laugh when they hear how we ice skated and jumped on a moving train. And what about how Heloise fell down the pig trap and was almost killed. I surely thought you were killed, Heloise."

Alifair sat up. "You make it sound like an adventure. This whole ordeal has been a nightmare. Will you tell them that we had to run for our lives, or that we were shot at or that Astrid is probably dead? What about all of that?"

"Alifair please," Heloise sat up. "We've come all this way and we've gotten along. Let's not fight now, not after we've come so far. What both of you say is true but neither changes where we are now nor what must be done next. I need you to think a little more positive, Alifair. I miss Astrid too but now we must find Papa and show him the will. That is what is important."

Alifair turned her back and Hannah sat down.

"Will you tell me one of your stories, Heloise?" she asked.

Heloise sighed. She was very tired and telling a story properly took a lot of energy. "All right," she said propping her pillow up. "Once upon a time in a far away land, there was a little girl named Mary..."

/

Mr. Banks preached about family that Sunday. As he spoke Heloise ran her fingers over the will tucked into the Bible. Nothing had been said about her parents thus far and she was beginning to worry they would not be found. After the sermon the congregation talked in the frosty churchyard. It seemed everyone looked forward to summer when they could have picnics and parties.

Hannah chased some other kids around the yard while Alifair sat on the fence by the carriage waiting to return to the Banks' home. When Heloise saw Mr. Banks had finished talking she approached him. "Mr. Banks, when can I see my father?" When the pleasant man got a sad look in his eyes Heloise stepped closer. "Has there been news of him or my mother?"