Now Maybe, I Didn't Mean To Treat You Oh So Bad

"Hey, let us in!" shouted Twiggy from outside my front door. He was banging on it with his fist. Sometimes, in my mind, I exclaimed to myself, "Seriously, why won't he grow up?" I rolled my eyes.

  "It's unlocked!" I yelled back, and the knocking stopped. The door swung open and he came in, followed closely by Laney. Neither of them had changed much over the years...they looked young and healthy and amazing as ever. I watched as Sadie jumped down of the couch next to me and ran over to them, her tiny legs working away. She collided into Twiggy, who picked her up.

  "Sorry about that," Laney said as I got up and walked over to give her a brief hug. She rolled her eyes in the direction of her husband, who was flicking strands of Sadie's hair in her face, making her giggle.

  "You should really just stop apologizing," I laughed. "You know he's never going to change."

  "Yeah, well..." she said. "To this day, I wonder why I chose that one over all people."

  "Because I fell in love with you and you just couldn't help loving me back," Twiggy said, still looking at Sadie, but answering Laney. I raised my eyebrows and tilted my head towards her.

  "At least he's sweet?" I suggested, then laughed.

  "Yeah," she said sarcastically, but laughed too and reached up to kiss him on the cheek. He smiled softly at her, then went back to playing with Sadie. They were the cutest family I figured I'd ever seen. Laney looked back at me.

  "Hey, so later..." she started quietly. "If you need anything tonight, or anything at all...you'll call me, right?" I smiled and nodded slowly. That was just like my best friend to be thinking about it already...of course I had been too, all night and all morning long...it'd been hard to focus on taking care of and entertaining Sadie since they'd dropped her off the day before, because the thought that I'd be seeing Zim in less than twenty-four hours, after so many years and so much longing...I still felt like it wasn't even real at all.

  Twiggy handed Sadie to Laney. She was so adorable, with her long, straight, dark brown hair and pale skin. She looked so much like her mother...I imagined every day how beautiful she'd be in only a few short years. "Did you have fun with Aunt Mavis?" Laney asked, smiling. Even after so many years, though I hadn't told anyone, I still loved to hear Laney's voice. It was so smooth and calm and quiet, almost shy, but it was one of the most comforting things in the world to me.

  "Yes!" Sadie exclaimed, and I smiled tiredly. "Can Aunt Mavis come home with us?"

  "No, Baby," said Laney, pushing the hair out of Sadie's hair out of her face and behind her ears. "She has stuff to do tonight."

  "Hey, can I talk to you?" Twiggy asked quietly, tipping his head toward the kitchen and down the hall. I nodded. Twiggy touched Laney's arm, who smiled sweetly, before leading us down the hall. I heard Sadie asked, "Why?" as I followed Twiggy into the bedroom, where he shut the door behind us and turned to me.

  "Are you alright?" he asked, his arms crossed with his hands cupping his elbows. I bit the inside of my bottom lip and nodded. "Are you sure?"

  I looked down, my arms crossed, too. "Just a little shook up..." I said, quoting that same song we'd laughed about so many years ago together, the one about the 'automobile accident.' I glanced up and cracked a grin. He smiled softly, and seemed relieved, which made me happy. "Yeah, I'm okay. Thanks," I said and moved forward to hug him. His strong arms held me tight, and his hand moved up and down my back, soothingly. "Okay, Laney's going to think you're having an affair with me, we should get out of here," I laughed, pulling away. He rolled his eyes and smiled.