Deception

The Sidhe told Morgause the location of the house Merlin and Morgana were staying in, but it was up to her to make a plan. If any of the knights saw her, she would instantly be captured and have no opportunity to talk to Morgana.

She crouched behind some bushes, her back to the lake. At that moment she must have been incredibly lucky, because Morgana walked out of the house - alone. She wandered down the steps and across the street. She was carrying a blanket, which she laid on the grass on the shore of the lake and sat upon. This was Morgause's chance.

"Sister?" she said in a weak voice. Morgana whipped her head around and stared at Morgause.

"Morgause!" she exclaimed, standing quickly, but keeping her distance.

"Why do you turn from me, sister? Am I not your mentor, your friend?"

"You were," agreed Morgana. "Until you poisoned my mind to make sure I wouldn't stray! I loved you, Morgause. I would never have left you."

"I regret many things," said Morgause sadly. "Please, I just want a second chance."

She couldn't have heard me talking with Merlin, could she? Morgana thought. Little did Morgause know it, but she had said exactly the right thing. Morgana wanted to leave her sister standing there by the lake, but her pleading words struck deep into Morgana's pity. She stepped forward and took Morgause's hands, smiling slightly.

"I understand."

0O0O0O0

"Merlin, old chap," Gwaine called from the hall. "Let me in, or I shall drink enough ale that the only way to cure me will be magic!" The door opened to show a grinning Merlin. Behind him, Gwaine could see dozens of ancient books and scrolls and bits of parchment spread all over the bedroom floor.

"Oh, now see, it's not just Gaius that has to live with your mess now," complained Gwaine. "It's all of us!" Merlin shrugged and stepped carefully through the chaos to a clear patch. Gwaine entered the room and almost tripped on an open book.

"Careful!" Merlin shouted. "Those are the memoirs of Agrippa! It's a second edition!"

"Merlin," said Gwaine, looking at his friend. "You have got to get yourself a girl." Merlin ignored him. Gwaine stumbled through the mess, ignoring Merlin's protestations. He finally managed to sit beside the scholar.

"What are you doing?" he asked. Merlin seemed glad someone had asked him.

"Trying to understand the phenomenon of reincarnation," he said, putting down a piece of crinkly yellow parchment and turning to Gwaine. "I'm going through hundreds of accounts of sorcerers, but none of them can explain it either. The one person who might, never documented it."

"Who?" asked Gwaine out of genuine curiosity.

"Nimueh."

0O0O0O0

Gaius stopped halfway up the stairs to catch his breath. In Camelot, the terrors of old age didn't bother him until he was well into his eighties, but the Guy of this world had terrible aches. 

"Gaius, is something wrong?" asked Percival, appearing at his side.

"No, no, my boy. Just my old bones creaking." Percival looked doubtful. He offered his arm.

"I'll help you upstairs," he said. Gaius's pride wanted to refuse, but his sore joints couldn't. He thanked Percival and took the arm. If the big knight noticed how heavily Gaius leaned on him, or how much pain he appeared to be in, he didn't say anything until the top of the steps.

"Do you want a hot bath?" Percival asked. "Or medicine, or - "

"I am perfectly capable of administering my own medicine!" snapped Gaius. Percival's face underwent a moment of shock and hurt. Gaius hated that he'd lost his temper on the sweet man, but he couldn't think of anything to say. He let go of Percival's arm and went into his room, closing the door behind him.

Percival stared after him. Never had he seen Gaius be so frail or so hot-tempered. Gwen came out of her bedroom and smiled at Percival. She started downstairs. Percival made a split-second decision and called after her. She turned around and looked at him.

"What is it?" Percy bounded over to her so he could whisper. Gaius still had keen ears.

"It's Gaius. There's something wrong. He won't talk to me but . . ." he trailed off. Gwen understood immediately. She touched Percival's arm gently and walked back up the stairs.

"Gaius? It's Gwen. May I come it?" she asked, knocking on the door. She heard a crash from behind the door, and a moan. Praying that the door wasn't locked, she turned the handle. It went, and Gwen burst into the room.

Gaius was on the floor, leaning against the bed. Several books that Gwen remembered as being on the bed were now scattered around the old man. The blanket was pulled towards Gaius as if he had tried to use it to get onto the bed. Gwen rushed to his side.

"Gaius?" she said softly. He moaned and turned away from her. "Gaius, don't do that. Let me help you."

"There is no cure for old age," Gaius said dismally. "My mind is still sharp, but my body is falling apart." Tears came to Gwen's eyes. She knew this was an exaggeration, but she also knew that Gaius was far older than any of them comprehended.

"Why didn't you tell me?" she asked. Her old friend and physician faced her.

"What could you do?" he asked. He knew how harsh he sounded, so he tried to fix it. "My girl, everyone gets old. You did, once. You've watched me die before."

"Which is why I can't again!" she exploded. "You think we don't care, but we do, Gaius! You are the person we all of us care about. Let us help you," she continued in a smaller voice. Gaius wiped away a tear from her cheek.

"I'm sorry. Bring Percival in here; I must tell you both something." Gwen obeyed, and the queen and her knight knelt beside the frail old man.

"There is nothing to be done for this," Gaius told them. Gwen bit back tears. Percival looked shocked. "You must make me a promise. Both of you." Percy nodded, but Gwen hesitated. Gaius looked at her sharply, and she inclined her head.

"What do you want?"

"You must swear not to tell the others. They cannot know I am dying."

Gwen gasped. "How can you ask that? Gaius, how can you possibly keep this from them?" He opened his mouth to protest but she interrupted. "There is nothing in this house, Gaius, nothing  but admiration, respect, and love for you." She reached for his hand. It was cold to the touch. "I know better than anyone that we all have our times. But we cannot decide our time on our own."

She stepped back and straightened her back, raising her chin high like the queen she was. "I command you, Gaius, that you will seek help. You will tell Merlin your ailments. Don't you dare leave us without a fight."