The Battle with the Witch

The fortress Nimueh had built gave a whole new meaning to the word 'impregnable'. There wasn't a gate. There was a moat, but there was no gate. There were no windows. A steep roof in the shape of a pyramid allowed no attack from above.

"Um, Merlin?" Gwaine said hesitantly. "Any ideas?" Merlin was silent, staring up at the giant fortress in shock.

"We have to find a door," Percival said reasonably. Arthur nodded.

"Merlin, Lancelot, Gwaine and I will go this way, the rest of you go the other way. Look for any entrance, no matter how small. We meet halfway around." They followed his orders, but when they reconvened, each group could see from the others' faces that they had no luck.

"No doors," Elyan muttered. Morgana narrowed her eyes at the castle.

"We'll just have to make one," she said, and thrust her hand at the stone wall. Merlin tried to stop her, but it was too late. There was a protection spell around the fortress, and it threw Morgana back. She landed with a thud, her arm twisted underneath her. Merlin cried out and ran to her, cradling her head in his lap.

"Morgana!" he shouted, shaking her limp body. Arthur knelt beside them, horror on his face.

"Is she . . ." he whispered. Lancelot took his dagger and held it under Morgana's nose. When he drew it back, there were faint cloud marks from her breath. Everyone let out a sigh of relief. Tears ran down Merlin's face.

"Come on, Morgana," he said. He held her head and his eyes flashed gold. Nothing happened.

"Merlin - " started Lancelot.

"No!" he yelled. He took his hand from under Morgana's head. It was stained red.

"Merlin - " Lancelot tried to say again. Merlin's eyes flashed, and the knights flew backwards a few feet. They were fine, but now very wary. Suddenly, Merlin began to chant.

"O drakon, e male so ftengometta tesd'hup'anankes!" Lancelot recognized the spell. A moment later, Aithusa appeared in the distant sky. She was upon them in seconds.

When she saw Morgana, she let out a sad chirp.

"Heal her," Merlin said, his voice choked with emotion. He stood up and gently rested Morgana's head on the grass. Then he stepped back, and the dragon let out a breath of power. Morgana stirred. Immediately Merlin was at her side. Arthur staggered to his feet, as did the other knights, but Merlin paid them no mind.

"Morgana," he said softly. Her eyes fluttered open. She smiled.

"Merlin," Morgana said in the same quiet voice he used. She puzzled at his tears and wiped them away, sitting up. Merlin immediately shifted so that he was ready to catch her if she fell back, but she wasn't going to fall. Aithusa's magic was too powerful.

"I guess we won't be getting in that way," she joked. All of a sudden, Merlin pulled her into a hug, burying his face in her shoulder. So quietly that only she could hear, he said,

"I can't lose you." A short gasp emitted itself from Morgana's mouth. She brought her arms to his back and held on for a few moments. Then she pulled away, staring into his eyes.

"You won't," she assured him. Suddenly, they both became aware that they were not alone. Merlin stood and offered a hand to Morgana. She accepted it and stood. She was confused by the looks the knights were giving Merlin. She turned to him for an explanation.

"I'm sorry," he said to the men. "When I panic, my magic sort of - "

"It is forgotten," Lancelot said quickly. He smiled at Morgana. "I'm just glad you're alright." Arthur hugged Morgana, but was pushed out of the way by Aithusa. The dragon nuzzled Morgana and cooed. The sorceress smiled and pet Aithusa.