36 || Yellow (preview)

A/N: hey guys, this is the first chapter of my book Yellow. i know it's pretty short and actually the first couple chapters will be because they're all mostly filler chapters. but the longer ones and main events of the story about to start rolling in. if you could give the book a look, that'd be awesome. and if you enjoy it, that's awesomer. it's a camila/you story.

Color;The property possessed by an object of producing different sensations on the eyes as a result of the way the object reflects of emits light

Color;
The property possessed by an object of producing different sensations on the eyes as a result of the way the object reflects of emits light

"What's your favorite color, Y/N?"

She used to ask. It was a question she inquired of me everyday, her brown eyes always full of hope that my answer would be something extravagant, something amazing. I always replied to her in one word, my answer changing sometimes depending on my mood. I could never have a set preference on one single color. How could I? There were so many different kinds of hues out in the world, some not even discovered yet.

"Blue."

I would sometimes tell her.

"Red."

I'd say another day.

Even though my answer was only one word, she seemed to think that it was the most wonderful thing in the world I could say. I remember that her mouth would form into a breathtaking grin, causing my young heart to beat faster and nerves run up and down my arms and spine. Her almond colored eyes would sparkle with excitement and adoration.

"I love that color!"

She would respond.

We were young at the time, not even seven yet. We didn't know much about anything, but we talked a whole lot about everything. Everything we knew about, at least.

She was so wise for a girl her age, so cheerful and optimistic. She would never let anything get her down, and when something did manage to upset her, she'd always manage to bounce right back from it.

But her strangely vast intellect was always shadowed by her silliness and clumsiness. She was never able to shine in the education category like she should've been able to because of people never took her seriously.

It saddened me that she wasn't getting the recognition she deserved but what could I do? I was the same age she was and that meant that my credibility was no bigger than hers, and if anything, it was smaller.

I was known as the kid who didn't talk much and who didn't have anything good to say when I did. I may have looked smart because of the society based opinion that people with glasses were intelligent but when I opened my mouth, that idea was immediately trashed.

I guess that's why we were so good together. As my mother would put it, we were like 'two peas in a pod', and my father would say we were like two siblings that had formed a bond no one could break, that we were inseparable.

Was I happy to have a friend like her? My answer for that question will never change. Yes. Yes, I was definitely happy to have a friend like her. I would say that she was like the sun in my life but that's just a bit too cliche, isn't it? So, instead, I'll say that she was like the oceans of the world in my life, like she was the stars in a pitch black night sky. I suppose that's a bit hard to understand, let me explain.

Less than 5% of the world's oceans have been explored and 70% of the Earth's surface is covered by them. Even though we were 'such good friends', as people would say, I felt as though I didn't know much about her, like she was a mystery that was just waiting to be unraveled.

Stars in a pitch black sky shine brightly and with a metaphorical sense of hope. They're beautiful to witness and a rare sight to see since the world is so polluted. She was like that because she was so wonderful to witness, from afar and from up close.

"What's your favorite color, Camila?"

I would ask her right back, and no matter the day, no matter the weather, no matter the mood she was currently in, her answer would always remain the same.

"Yellow."