Chapter 1: The Bodyguard

To be a bodyguard is to be a kamikaze pilot. Dedicated.

-Mr. T

Diego Suarez's POV

I carefully closed the letter I immediately read the moment I arrived at the office. It came from my previous employer His Excellency, Don Leandro Salazar, the current Conde de Parama. I sighed deeply pinching the bridge of my nose from a growing headache early this morning. Hell, I didn't even eat my breakfast yet just a cup of coffee on my way here.

The cause of my morning frustration was solely directed to Don Leandro Salazar's younger sister. Apparently, the stubborn young lady acquired herself a stalker in the city of Paris where she's currently living to pursue her career as a designer. Now her brother stated in the letter she's refusing every bodyguard my agency provides for her.

Now the Conde is asking me to personally protect his younger sister until her stalker is found. If she was just another woman I would not miss a beat to say yes however this woman was no way near ordinary she's Lucia Salazar, the woman I should steer clear of at all cost.

But how can I turn down the man who helped me a lot? The man who treated me like a member of his family in my years of employment, the man who helped me start my own business when I resigned from my post as his bodyguard, the same man who wasn't aware of the not-so-pleasant thoughts of his bodyguard towards his younger sister.

I closed my eyes and weighed my choices. This was all Lucia Salazar's fault, I thought furiously. If that amber hair and almond-colored eyes woman... I cussed myself when her vision flashed inside my head. Great, now that image would haunt me throughout the day. It doesn't help that the image conjured inside my head was about the time I stole a kiss from her one night when I gave in to temptation. I couldn't care less that night if the Conde would send me straight to hell.

I shifted in my seat as feel uncomfortable with my wayward thoughts. Trying to block her image from my brain I pressed the intercom in the telephone on my desk. When my secretary sounded on the speaker. "Can you please ask the secretary of Don Leandro Salazar to arrange a meeting? Thank you."

A few minutes later the intercom sounded and the voice of my secretary floated inside the silent room. "Sir, you have a phone call from the Conde himself."

"Thank you," I said again, as I pick up the receiver. "Good morning, Your Excellency."

"Waive the formality, Diego. You are no longer working for me." Don Leandro Salazar replied on the other line. He sounded a bit distress.

I ignored his comment and continue to the main issue. "Sir, I want to arrange a meeting so we could talk about your sister's situation."

I heard him sighed on the other line. "I know I don't have the right to pressure you to protect my sister but you are my last hope. You know how willful Lucia is. You are the only one who can keep her in her place."

The only place I want to keep her is my bed. The thoughts inside my head had whispered. I silently cursed myself. How could I permit such thoughts when I am talking to her brother on the phone? I cleared my throat. "Sir..."

"I know you are no longer working for me and it's not my job anymore to look after my family. But I am asking you as your previous employer to help me as we solve this matter. It will be only for a short time. I will be forever grateful for your help, Diego. If you need my help in the future I will help you at once."

I frowned slightly. If I didn't know better I would assume that the Conde was blackmailing me. It was as if I am dealing with his wife who was known as manipulative. So what choice do I have but to agree? This small favor from him was nothing compared with the amount of help he had done for me especially when I decided to leave this employment and start my own business. "Alright, Your Excellency. I will personally protect Señorita Lucia until the culprit gets caught."