Chapter 13: The Plan

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.

-George S. Patton

Lucia Salazar's POV

I stared at the land that my family owns for centuries. As far as my eyes could reach the Salazars owns it. Here I was back to the place where I grew up, the place that I love more than any place on earth. My home.

"At least you should wait for your bodyguard before sprint lightning speed risking your pretty neck in the process." I sighed deeply when I heard the dry comment from Diego. He maneuvered his horse next to mine as he stared at the vast land before us.

"Thank you very much for your concern but I'm a capable horse rider, Diego," I informed him as my gaze was still fixed at the front.

I still couldn't believe that I was back home after almost a year living in Paris. I never thought that I would leave this place but there's something or someone, rather, that forced me to do so. I discreetly glanced at the man in question. He's the reason why I chose to leave this place. Since he resigned as Leandro's bodyguard it seems that he left a hole in my heart with his sudden disappearance.

I wasn't prepared that he would leave sooner than I expected. I always assumed that he would linger around until Leandro was probably in his death bed. I just never expect that he would want something more in his life other than protecting other people and tolerating his younger sister daily.

So no I was back and oddly with the same man who was the reason why I left but the difference now is he was back in his old job protecting a Salazar not my brother but me no less.

"You seem quite today, Señorita." He commented, from the corner of my eyes I could see that he's studying me intently. "Do you miss that Frenchman, perhaps?"

My eyes narrowed at his words. I looked at him. Ops, wrong move. I stared back at my scenery. "I don't think I like the way you address my good friend Jacques. I am aware that you don't trust the poor guy but believe me he's a good man."

I heard him snorted from his horse. "It's not that I don't like him or anything but there's something about him that's too good to be true. Be careful about him, Señorita.  He's a shady fellow."

I raised an eyebrow in his direction. I couldn't help but be amused about his assertion to Jacques before I could stop myself the words went out of my mouth. "Are you jealous?"

Oh, why, oh why, Lucia? I mentally asked myself. I want to beat myself for being such stupid. Why would Diego feel jealous about Jacques? It's not as if he likes me. Yeah right, for him, I am only the annoying sister of his boss.

From the shocked look on his face I want to run away and hide somewhere I felt my cheeks warm from embarrassment. He snorted. "Why would I be jealous with that milksop man? I can easily toss him in the Seine River with one finger."

"Jeez, who are you, Superman?"

He gave me a rakish smile. "Not just your average bodyguard, my pretty Señorita. Your brother's instruction to me was plain and simple. 'Do not let any man come close to my sister while she's away from home.' So that's what exactly I am doing with this guy."

I rolled my eyes yet deep inside I suddenly feel unexplained happiness. I should feel annoyed at Leandro for making such an order to Diego but for some reason, I feel alien feelings about this kind of setup. "You and Leandro are impossible! I am not some kind of little girl who needs protection all the time. I can make friends to whoever I want."

"Not when the man in question has doubtful character."

It would be only a waste of time if I would continue to squabble with him over this matter when he and my tyrant older brother had the same one-track mind. I would just keep in mind that Diego was from the enemy camp. He works for my brother despite his assurance that his loyalty was on me now.