Chapter 4: The French Man

Treat every Frenchman as if he was the devil himself.

-Horatio Nelson

Lucia Salazar's POV

"Jacques..." I said a little out of breath.  Of all the time he could have come to my boutique I think this was not the right time... I frowned. Wait a moment—why this was not the right time for my good friend to visit? I asked myself silently. He could visit me anytime he wants to.

I met him when I first attended the Fashion Week here in Paris. He's a prominent man in the fashion industry. He's a fashion director and heir to a global brand. Jacques Montcalm is also the sought-after bachelor in the country.

"Is everything okay here?" He asked, looking at me and Diego. His eyes narrowed directly to the man beside me. "Does this mean harassing you, Mademoiselle?"

I felt Diego's muscles tensed, while he growl under his breath. I looked at him in astonishment I never knew this side of him. I always knew that he's this stoic-faced, cold man that silently following my brother's command without question. This was probably the first time I would see emotions in his face. "Settle down, por favor," I murmured to him, trying to keep him calm. "He's my friend."

He glanced at me briefly before focusing his gaze back at the man standing in front of us. How could I send away this six-foot-something strapping man out of my shop, out of Paris, and out of my life? Why does he need to come back into my life after a year of silence from him? I don't want him before reporting my every move to my obnoxious brother certainly not now trailing behind me like an annoying insect.

"I didn't realize that you've developed some kind of friendship from men in the year you lived alone in Paris, my princess." He sneered at every word that comes out of his mouth. He spoke so softly so Jacques wouldn't hear him. "So he's the reason why you kept sending me away? Do you think he can protect you from this stalker of yours? Hell, such milksop."

My eyes widened at him.  I never heard him speak this way before. I always thought that he's keeping his opinion to other people to himself. He only lived in this world to follow and please my autocratic brother. It feels like he was not the Diego I knew before. "Watch your mouth, Mister." I threw an angry look in his direction. I spoke to him in Spanish. "That guy is a good friend of mine. I won't let you insult him in front of me."

My threat turned into a challenge for him. "Do you think he can protect you from me? Just look at him, princess, all polished and refined like a feminine. I can easily toss him out of this room with my one hand."

I gasped at his words. "What an awful thing to say, Mister Suarez."

He gave me a goading smile that sent chills to my veins. "That's me, my princess."

"Lucia?" Jacques spoke again, forcing us to acknowledge him again. "Do you want me to call the police and get this man arrest for bothering you?"

My eyes widened, this thing gets out of hand. The last thing I want was police officers flocking to my doorstep due to a little misunderstanding. I need to send away both of them. "There's no need do to call the police, Jacques. He's not harassing or bothering me I know this guy back from home. In fact, he just visited me to catch up but he's about to leave." I gave Diego a warning glance. "Right, Diego?"

"Is that so?" The French man asked sounding not convinced.

He raised his eyebrow in my direction. The exasperating man gave me an animated expression before settling his gaze to my friend. "I beg to differ, sir. Please allow me to formally introduce myself I'm Diego Suarez, Miss Lucia's new personal bodyguard."