Chapter 19: The Arrangement

Friendship is an arrangement by which we undertake to exchange small favors for big ones.

-Montesquieu

Lucia Salazar's POV

We were back in Paris our impromptu vacation in Spain finally ended. I still couldn't believe the unexpected progress that happened between me and Diego. I tried to hide my smile as I remember our romantic getaway this weekend.

"That's a quiet smile on your face." Amelia, my secretary slash good friend commented. "I gather that your trip back home is a success."

"Yes!" I replied enthusiastically. "You have to see the textiles I brought from home. They are one of a kind. I'm so excited to use them for my next collection. Wait until Diego brings them here."

Amelia thought for a moment, studying me with her sharp gaze. "Hmm, I wonder if that's the only reason why you're extra happy since you came back. You seem a little different somehow, care to share?"

I smiled at her shaking my head. "I don't know what you mean."

The door of my workroom suddenly burst to open. My eyes lit at the sight of the most handsome man you could lay your eyes on. The same man who was the subject of my teenage heart's fantasies.

"Where should I put these?" He asked casually, holding the bulk of fabrics in his hands. I smiled at the sight of him and he smiled back at me.

"Here, let me help you." I immediately went to help him with the materials we both had together in Seville. "Let's put them on this table. What took you so long to come back?"

Diego's eyes glint with pleasure. "I was struck with traffic, Señorita. I couldn't come as fast as I wanted to."

"Now I know the reason why behind your unusual smile, Lucia." I have forgotten about Amelia who was also inside the workroom. "I guess I overstay my presence here. I need to go now. I can't handle a tense atmosphere here."

Before I could formulate my reply she went out of the room closing the door firmly behind her. I became aware that I was all alone with Diego in this room. Suddenly, my heart starts to pound loudly in my chest.

"So..." I started but the words died in my mouth when he suddenly flattened his lips on mine in a quick but hard kiss.

"I'd been dying to do that the moment I arrive but I force to restraint myself since your secretary is here." He said, looking down at me with such passion in his eyes.

"Diego..." I closed my eyes, melting in his warm embrace. "...this pretending is a lot harder than I first thought. I hate it when we couldn't show affection on each other in public like the thing we did in Seville."

I heard Diego took a deep breath, kissing the top of my head. "I know, I'm truly sorry. Please give me some time to prove my worth to be your boyfriend."

I snuggled even closer to the warmth of his arms. Being in his arms like this was enough for me for now. "As long as we're together like this I will be fine. But promise me that is only a temporary arrangement?"

"I promise," he said solemnly. "Thank you for understanding, my darling. Sometimes I still couldn't believe that you are finally mine. I didn't know what I did to deserve you like this. I know you deserve better but I'm too selfish for that I want you all to myself."

"I feel the same about you, Diego," I muttered to him as I drew back a little to see his handsome face. "Even though you're nothing but cold to me in the past I couldn't stop myself from being attracted to you."