Chapter 9: The Coffee and Croissants

There are only three things women need in life: food, water, and compliments.

-Chris Rock

Diego Suarez's POV

In my years working as a bodyguard I knew not to ignore my instincts every time. It saved me a lot in the past now my instinct was on guard with this French man aka Lucia's number one suitor.

He'd been early this morning waiting to Lucia inside her shop like a smitten dog waiting for the lady he fancied. I would give him credit for it, he seems a nice person but there was still something about him that's too good to be true. Dios Santo, even the Conde had flaws I've seen it since our first meeting but this guy...

"If looks could kill Jacques should be dead by now." I heard the snarky remark from the woman beside me on the pavement. "Don't you think it's rather too early to send dark glares from my good friend, Diego? Goodness, I haven't had my coffee yet."

I raised an eyebrow in her direction. Deep inside, I got annoyed at this little minx for chiding me early this morning because of that guy. Does she like him too? My mind asked the question that haunted me since I met this guy. This was one of the reasons why I didn't like to accept this job in the first place I could take to see guys sniffing at her heels while I was forced to watch it happens right before my very eyes. "You are too harsh, Lucia. Didn't we establish already that I'm not the enemy here?"

"So is Jacques." She answered vehemently.

That remained to be seen. Not until I run a background check on him and prove that he's trustworthy I won't lower my guard on him and he would remain as an enemy—at least on my part. "Don't worry. I won't do anything to harm your lapdog, Señorita."

She glared at me. It was enough to kill me an instant as she put it awhile ago. When she kept on protecting this guy towards me the devil inside me couldn't help but plan this Frenchman's demise very slowly inside my head. Believe me; I already have at least one hundred ways to kill this guy in my brain at the moment. "Be kind to him. No, at least, be civil to him, Diego. I mean it. Jacques is such a good friend of mine. I don't want you ruining our friendship just because of your rude behavior."

"Is that supposed to be a warning, Señorita?" I asked pleasantly moving closer to her side. I glanced sideways to the glass window of Lucia's boutique it seems as if the Frenchman was already aware of our presence he's looking at us intently. So I moved even closer to Lucia's side and dipped my head to hers. "You do very well I don't heed to the warning, correct? Remember what happens when you gave me a warning before? You got eaten by a hungry wolf."

I heard her gasped. She took one step backward and stared at me with such a stun reaction on her face. I wanted to laugh when I saw the crimson stain on her cheeks. "What an awful thing to say, Diego Suarez. I don't remember such a thing."

I eyed her from head to toe. I knew very well when she's lying. I decide to bait her even more I liked it a lot when she's uneasy in my company. "Do you want me to remind you, my princess?"

Her mouth hanged open. "You wouldn't dare..."

I smiled evilly in her direction. "You and your brother couldn't do anything about the wolf's hunger before. Do you think you can do anything to stop me now that your brother is not around? What will you do to stop me from claiming what I want?"

"Stop saying nonsense." Lucia's eyes flashed with annoyance. "Stop playing with my heart, Diego. I have enough of this game we're having."

It was my turn to stare at her questioningly. I don't think I understand what was she's saying. "What are you talking about? What game?"