Chapter 26: The Relatives

The memories we make with our family is everything.

-Candace Cameron Bure

Lucia Salazar's POV

When Diego and I arrived late last night in their family home everyone was already asleep we just sneak silently to his room and called it a night. I was dead tired from the events that had happened yesterday that I slept soundly in his arms.

Now my inevitable encounter with his family would happen at breakfast. What would they say if they see him bringing home a girl last night? "Stop being skittish, Lucia. My family will not eat you for breakfast." His eyes gleamed devilishly. "I will."

I rolled my eyes in his direction as my cheeks suddenly feels hot at the image in my brain. "You are not helping, Diego."

"Relax," he said, tucking some loose strand of my hair at the back of my ear. "I'm sure my family will like you in no time."

Once again I became self-conscious about my appearance. I checked the clothes I wore today which was the best outfit I have that I hastily throw in my bag last night. "You think so?"

"Of course. You can resist the charm of my sweet Lucia." He said with a grin on his handsome face.

I glared at him. "Stop jesting me, will you?"

He pretended to be stun at the accusation. "I'm being serious, my darling love." His eyes held wickedness in their depth. "Here let me give you something to boost your self-confidence, my pretty señorita."

My breath was caught as I saw him slowly dip his head towards my lips. I instantly shut my eyes and waited for his warm lips to graze mine. "That's the best idea you have in mind to make me feel at ease with this?"

"No," this devil had the nerve to smirk in my direction. "To be honest, I am not sure. I just want to kiss you, that's all." I was about to retort hotly when he held my hand and led me to the door. "Come, I am already hungry I'm sure Madre is already done cooking breakfast downstairs."

He led me to the staircase and didn't wait for me to prepare myself in meeting his family for the first time.

"Good morning!" Diego greeted so casually in the busy kitchen. Several female eyes and a toddler drew in our direction. Honestly, I want to shrink behind his back when I saw the naked shock from their faces.

"Good morning," I muttered softly, avoiding their curious gazes. I don't know how to perceive their reaction towards me. I quickly felt that I overdress for breakfast since they were still in their pajamas. "Sorry for the intrusion."

Silence greeted us. I became aware that the room adopted complete stillness. The middle-aged woman at the counter was probably his mom. "Everyone." Diego addressed the four women in the kitchen. "This is Lucia, my wife." Everyone gasped at his announcement including me. "Lucia, I would like you to meet my mom, Carmen. My elder sister, Juanita, and my younger sisters, Lolita and Celia."

"Nice to meet you all. My name is Lucia..." I said, avoiding their questioning look.

The woman named Juanita was the one who first recovered from their shock. She stopped feeding her baby on the high chair. She smiled brightly in my direction. "Hi, nice to meet you, Lucia. Sorry if you somehow feel unwelcome it's just we were quite shocked to find my brother here finally went home with his wife he said." She turned to look at the matriarch of this family. "Mother, did you hear that? This is Diego's wife."

I felt my cheeks flamed. I should have expected this since this man brazenly announce that I am his wife to his family. A woman who they never laid eyes on before. "I heard him." Diego's mom glared at her daughter, wiping her hands in the apron in her waist. She walked towards me and smile. "Stop embarrassing the poor woman, Juana. I am this idiot boy's mother. I didn't know what kind of magic did he use to you but welcome to the family, Lucia."