Chapter 16: The Breakfast

Like love, breakfast is best when made at home.

-Gina Barreca

Lucia Salazar's POV

"Ugh, my head hurts like hell." I heard my sister-in-law grunted as soon as I entered the dining room for my breakfast. "The coffee isn't strong enough to keep me awake this morning."

"Good morning." I greeted sanguinely, as I placed the linen napkin on my lap. I smiled and thanked the housekeeper who poured me a cup of coffee. "Where's everyone? Why are you all alone having breakfast?"

Leila eyed me briefly before sipping her coffee again. "Oh, your brother had his breakfast already. He left me here nursing my second cup of coffee while Madre is still sleeping, I believe. As for my idiotic cousin, he will not rise until lunchtime he's not a morning person."

"Oh, I see."

I heard Leila sighed deeply, shaking her head. "Please remind me in the future not to host a party anymore."

I raised an eyebrow in her direction. "What makes you say that?"

She rolled her eyes, still sipping her coffee like it was water. "I stayed until wee hours seeing the last guests leave. I now sympathize with my sister whenever our father held a party back home. Laila always entertained his guests. She must be feeling awful when all you want to do is retire to bed but there's still people linger around and refuse to go home."

"I must say, I am happy that you decide to hold Mama's birthday party here. It's been a while since a party held here in the estate."

"Yes," My sister-in-law reflected, finally dared to place back her cup on the saucer plate. "I'm glad that Madre agree to have this party even Leandro was quite happy even though he doesn't admit it."

I nodded. I'm glad that Leandro and Mama slowly rebuilding their relationship for years I knew he tried to hate our mother thinking she abandoned us. Thanks to this woman Leandro made peace with Mama, so was I.

"You knew how to throw a party, Leila. Last night was a blast."

She smirked devilishly under her sleepy eyes in my direction. "I'm glad you enjoy last night's party."

I stared at her for a moment. I think there was underlying meaning in her words but I must probably be reading too much to her words since I did something reckless with Diego. I'm sure if she learns about it...

I glanced around while eating my sandwich. Come to think of it I haven't seen him yet. Where was he? Are we back to ignoring each other again after last night? I thought we already established that we're going to accept whatever we have. I guessed I must be only dreaming last night.

"You know," I heard Leila informed me with a dry tone. "I will not be surprised when your head suddenly detached from your neck with your left and right look. Are you looking for—?"

"No. I'm not looking for Diego." I blurted out like a half-wit. I mentally cursed myself when I saw satisfaction in the depth of Leila's eyes. Why do I have to say something so reckless in front of her? Now her old theory of me having feelings for Diego would resurface.

She sat back from her chair, it seems that she's finally awake thanks to my loose tongue. She eyed me adequately. "I am not talking about him, dear. I thought you are looking for your brother that's why I assume..."

"I'm not looking for anyone in particular," I replied, trying to save my pride. I hope she would just drop this topic and move to the next one that was far more interesting than this one we currently have.