Seven

Seven

"LOOK AT THIS, Mary Grace," Uncle Thomas handed me a heavy metal. It was cold and thick and it felt foreign on my hands. Just like what he just did to me. It was different and scary and I do not like every second of it. "Do you know the story of The Little Red Riding Hood?"

I shook my head. I wanted to go to Mom right now. I felt like crying again. I tried jumping off the bed but Uncle Thomas grabbed my hand.

"Wait, let me tell you the story of The Little Red Riding Hood first," He said calmly. "One day, the little red riding hood wandered alone in the forest. The big bad wolf showed up and raped her," He said nonchalantly. I really didn't understand what he was saying but the only thing that had never left my mind is the word 'rape'.

"Now, this bid bad wolf is super super bad. He has a gun," He raised the thick metal from his hands and pointed it to me, then to the door. "And if the little red riding hood says something about their game, we will point the gun to mommy and—" He glanced at me and that one last word was what scared me the most. "Bang."

I WOKE UP with a sudden jolt. Halos habulin ko na ang hininga ko at butil-butil ng pawis ang namumuo sa aking noo. Napasandal ako sa head board. Tears are streaming down my face. It was so vivid. It's like I'm living my life 9 years ago.

Oh, it's not. That was 10 years ago today.

I glanced at the clock. Mag-aalas singko na nang umaga. I wiped my tears away and took a quick shower. I put on a black v-neck shirt, ripped jeans, and my favorited rugged white chucks. I grabbed my kanken bag sitting on the floor and headed outside.

That dream. I thought inside of my head as I walked down the pavement. So much for celebrating my 18th birthday.

Kaagad akong dumiretso sa Karlo's Coffee and Study Hub. It is located next to the entrance gate of our subdivision. Karlo, the middle-aged man who sports a salt and pepper hair is smiling as I entered his coffee shop. I was still 15 years old when I first discovered this coffee shop and the kind owner, Karlo, became my friend. He proved to me that not all old men are interested in taking advantage of little girls to satisfy their own pleasure.

He never let me address him as Sir o Uncle o kahit Mr. Karlo man lang. He likes his name just like that. And it didn't feel right to mind my mannerisms right now because Karlo is such a funny guy. Other than my two best friends and Jeremy, he is one of the closest persons to me.

"Happy Birthday, Mary Grace," He greeted warmly. I pulled him into a quick hug.

"Thanks, Karlo." I grinned. He busied himself preparing for my favorite iced latte as I settled on the tall counter chairs.

"Any plans for today?" Tanong niya sa akin.

I shrugged even though he can't see me because his back is into me. "I really don't know. Maybe we could drink and hang out?"

He placed the iced latter on the counter made of cherry wood. He wiped his hand with a towel and gave me a weird look. "You just turned 18, dear. You should celebrate your debut,"

I laughed. Napag-usapan na namin ni Mommy na walang debut party na mangyayari. I can tell that she's disappointed because when Ate Annie turned 18, Mom did everything to make her debut magical. It was celebrated in a private hotel and everyone showed up wearing long gowns and tuxedos. But I really can't picture celebrating my birthday with a glass of an expensive champagne on my hand while talking with elite people and wearing a pretty yet itchy dress.