Nineteen

Nineteen

"Mary Grace," Mom poked her head inside my room and frowned when she saw splutters of paint all over. "What're you doing?"

"Painting?" I answered dumbly.

"I can see that." She crossed her arms over her chest. "Basta linisin mo lang ang kalat mo pagkatapos, okay? Bumaba ka na, your Dad is waiting. We'll eat breakfast together."

I sighed. "Is that even necessary?"

I saw her gulped and averted her gaze. Bigla tuloy akong na-guilty sa sinabi ko. "We're trying to be a family again, Mary Grace. What happened with your Ate Annie... It was our fault. I don't want the same thing to happen to you,"

"Of course," I nodded my head and pulled myself up.

"I'll see you downstairs, honey."

"Okay."

When she shut the door close, I exhaled a breath I didn't know I was holding in the first place. I began rummaging through my messy closet and grabbed an old band shirt and pulled it over my head. I glanced at my untidy room again, noting to leave the school early today para linisin ito.

Ever since Ate Annie died, which was approximately 3 months ago, malaki na ang ipinagbago nina Mommy at Daddy. They force me to eat breakfast with them together and as ridiculous as it may sound, I do have a curfew. I need to be home before 8:30 in the evening to join them for dinner. Bigla silang nagka-interes sa buhay ko, asking how was my day, what went by at school, and even called my teacher for goddamn's sake just to make sure that I am going to school every day.

Now it's starting to feel like a bad soap opera. This is just like a make-believe family we are trying to build. Naiinis ako sa kanila pero alam kong para din naman sa akin ang ginagawa nila. They are more cautious not to lose their second daughter around.

When I finished breakfast, Dad offered me a ride to school to which I didn't decline. I don't feel like walking today because it's drizzling.

"Are you okay?" Tanong ni Dad sa akin nang mapansin niyang tahimik ako. "You seem to be thinking a lot these past few days."

"Yeah," I nodded my head in agreement.

"And you're into painting, now? What's up, kiddo?"

"Nothing Dad..." I shook my head. "It's just that, I find it interesting. Don't worry, a sudden interest or shift of hobby isn't a sign of a suicidal person."

"Mary Grace."

"Sorry." I mumbled.

"You know honey, we're just doing this for you." He said silently. "I loved Annie so much I thought I was doing the right thing." His lips began trembling and I instantly felt bad for bringing this suicide thing up. "Not until I lost her. Ginagawa namin ng Mommy Ting mo ang lahat para alagaan kang mabuti."

"That's why you declined Sir Ferguson's offer of vice-president?"

He pulled in front of our school and turned off the engine. "Well, family's more important." Then he leaned into me and place a soft kiss on my head. "Enjoy your day, sweetheart."

"Thanks. I'm off." I said, climbing out of the car and running into the waiting shed. I pulled the hood of the jacket I am wearing over my head and began walking into the pavement that leads to my first period class.

---

"You never even called me or texted me!" Jeremy said, annoyed.

"I forgot my phone." I said instead. I don't want him to know that it was him I forgot, not my phone.