One

One

"Kath, would you please consider this just for once?" Mr. Sullivan said, trailing after me. "It could mean a lot to your career!" He even raised both his arms in exaggeration.

"Lower down your tone," I said in a whisper as I wiped a table. Then I looked around to make sure that no one is within earshot bago ko siya muling hinarap at pinandilatan ng mata. "Mr. Sullivan, we've talked about this. I'm not going to entertain any interviews or whatever the hell it is."

"But she traveled from Manila all the way here to Parola just to see you," He glanced discreetly at the woman just outside the shop. With her curly brown hair, sophisticated make-up, and red pumps, she looks more like a fashion star than a reporter to me. I immediately frown.

"I've signed the contract that states nothing should interfere with my private life." I said in a clipped tone, trying to send a warning to my publisher that this conversation is useless.

"Hindi mo ba siya kilala? She is Elsa Gestoso. The Elsa Gestoso!" He emphasized her name.

I sighed and placed down the rag. I glanced at the counter to make sure our manager isn't looking at us. Binalingan ko ulit si Mr. Sullivan, looking impatient.

"And?" I cocked an eyebrow.

"She's going to make you more popular than you already are! Honestly, Katherine Lagdameo, mysterious authors are so not in trend right now. If you want opportunities offered in the industry, you should step out of the spotlight and claim your books!"

"Book," I corrected. "I haven't finished writing the second book yet."

"Whatever." He rolled his eyes. "You're going to submit it anyway, right?"

"It depends on how you treat me for the next five minutes." I gave him a cocky smile. The middle-aged man looked like he's fighting himself from strangling me. He straighten up, obviously trying to compose himself and maintain his professionalism.

"Are you really serious about this, Kath?"

"Yes I am." I answered firmly then flashed a bright smile when I spotted a young lady entering the cafe. "Welcome to Gypsy's!" I sang. She ignored me and huffed as she strode towards the counter. Both our eyes darted on the copy of the book The Great Escape tucked between her arms.

Mr. Sullivan crossed his arms. "See? If this young lady learns that you are the author of the book she is reading right now, she'd probably go crazy and ask you to sign your book."

"But I don't want that." I answered right away. "I'm contented with my life here, if you haven't noticed."

"Being a waitress?" He exclaimed, making it sound like the biggest mistake of my life. Gypsy's manager, Nilo shot both of us a glare. I immediately tensed.

"Look, Mr. Sullivan, I'm sorry. I know you are just doing your job but I really don't want any interviews, book signing events, and whatnot. I like writing behind the shadows. There is nothing you can do to change my mind."

"You are so stubbon." He shook his head, admitting defeat. "And to think I traveled 9 hours just to get to this damn cape." He muttered under his breath.

I smiled apologetically at him. "I'm sorry to disappoint you, Sir. You gave me a call when I was in Pundaguitan before you brought Ms. Elsa here and I politely declined. You can't expect me to be a yes-man once you've shoved to me the reporter who had gone her way from Manila just to interview me."

"Okay, okay." He nodded his head. "Ako na ang bahala kumausap kay Ms. Elsa." Then he cleared his throat. "But make sure to submit your manuscript next month, Kath. Your readers are anticipating for your book 2. You can't hold their interest as long as you want."