Thirty-Seven

Thirty-Seven

An elderly woman glanced at me. I must've looked like a real shit because a concerned look crossed her face. I lowered my gaze on the ground and continued walking with trembling legs. As far as my feet could take me, I found myself standing in front of Harry's mansion again.

I swallowed. Jeremy passed out when he was done with me. Like stomping on a cigarette butt and leaving it behind crashed on the ground. That's exactly how I feel. I am more than a rag doll. Nandiri ako sa sarili ko. I let someone do it again to me.

I shifted on my feet, not knowing what to say on the intercom or if I should press the doorbell in the first place. I'm sure Lea would consider letting me enter the estate right now but I just couldn't bring myself to press the buzzer. Tears are still streaming down my face.

I started walking away when I heard the gate slowly opened. Napalingon kaagad ako. And there was Harry, carrying a child about 3-4 years old. A little girl with curly hair and a wide smile on her face. Her rosy chubby cheeks and wide eyes darted to me. She is trying to pull Harry's hair.

"Mary Grace?" Harry asked, his eyes widening.

Napalunok ulit ako. I tightened my grip on my backpack like I always do whenever I feel like an idiot or I don't know what to do or say to someone. Ibinaba niya ang bata. The little girl protested.

"Dito ka muna, Ninong will be back in a while," He said as he hurried towards me. A flash of concern and sadness crossed his eyes when he saw me. "What happened?"

I opened my mouth but decided not to say a thing. Lumapit ako sa kanya. He open his arms and engulfed me into a hug. I sobbed into his chest as he stroked my hair which made me cried even harder.

"Ninong, ninong, why is she crying?" I heard the little girl asked him. "Did she ran out of candies?"

"Shh..." Harry said, and I didn't know if it was for me or the little girl. He hugged me tighter, his warmth seeping into my skin. We stayed like that for a few minutes until a deep voice cleared his throat. Agad akong kumalas kay Harry. Manong Ben smiled politely at us.

"Pwede niyo po ba munang ipasok si Clarisse?" Wika ni Harry. The little girl in her hot pink shoes immediately protested.

"Hey! I thought we're going to buy ice cream, Ninong!" She wailed.

"Ako nalang po ang bibili." Wika ni Manong Ben.

"You go with Manong Ben, Clarisse. Ninong has important matters to deal with right now."

I instantly blushed and the elderly man must've noticed it because his eyes darted towards me but he did not say anything about it. He guided the little girl back into the house and told her things like riding a chariot and visiting all the ice cream parlors in the world.

"Let's go inside?" Harry said, guiding me back into their mansion. I really couldn't say it's just a house because of the two large white pillars that greeted us. Even the ceiling is glittering with chandeliers I could've mistaken it for stars. "Maupo ka muna," He said as he headed straight to one of the many rooms standing next to each other. When he disappeared behind the elegant white door, I sank into the soft white couch. Even Harry's house can calm me down. My breathing eventually slowed down and I can think straight compared earlier when I was walking down absentmindedly towards here.

Nang lumabas si Harry, he's already carrying a tiny container with a fresh white towel. It must be warm water because of the steam rising as he walked towards me. Inilapag niya iyon sa tabi ko then he carefully dip the towel, squeeze the water out of it, and started cleaning my face.