Twenty-One

Twenty-One

I blinked.

"Ano?"

"Thomas O'Connor was murdered the other day," the police said. "Iniimbitahan ka po namin sa prisinto."

"Tama lang sa kanya na mamatay!" my Dad snarled.

My body started shaking.

"You have the rght to remain silent. Anything that you will say can and will be used against you in the court of the law." Pahayag ng police.

My Mom placed her hands on my Dad's arms, probably to remind him of the Miranda rights. Humugot nang isang malalim na hininga si Dad.

"I need a lawyer." He finally stated. He knew better than not to say anything to the police.

Tumango-tango sila. "You have the right to an attorney. The government will provide you if you can't afford one. You have the right to an attorney. You also have the right to remain innocent unless proven guilty."

Sumama si Dad sa mga police. Nangilid ang luha naming dalawa ni Mommy habang tinitingnan siya na ipasok sa mobile patrol nila.

"Mom..."

"He's going to be okay..." My mother swallowed hard. I could barely hear her words dahil sa sobrang hina nito. "Your father's going to handle this."

Sumunod kami ni mommy sa police station kung saan nila dinala si Dad. When we arrived, they said my father is still under interrogation.

"Anong nangyari kay Thomas?" tanong ni mommy. She pursed her lips.

"He was found dead inside his prison cell. Poisoned." Sagot ng police officer.

"And what makes you think that my husba— my ex-husband has got to do with this?"

The police officer sighed and placed down his pen, probably tired and weary from dealing with all the cases in their precinct.

"Wala pong kasalanan ang Dad ko!" mataman ko siyang tiningnan sa mata.

"Then there's nothing to worry about," he said, his tone flat. "This is going to undergo due process. Huwag kayong mag-alala. Kung totoong walang kasalanan si Thunder Ferguson, makakalabas siya dito."

I paced back and forth inside the station, waiting for the interrogation to be over. My phone suddenly vibrated inside of my pocket. Dinukot ko iyon.

Bahagya akong napamura nang makitang si Harry pala ang tumatawag. I promised him a date tonight! Dalawang oras na akong late.

"Mary Grace?"

"Harry, sorry..." bungad ko. Pinigil ko ang panginginig ng labi bago ako muling nagsalita. "Nagkaroon kami ng problema sa bahay. I'm really sorry for ditching you,"

"Oh," I could hear the disappointment in his voice. "Should I cancel the reservation, then? The waiter is shooting daggers at me with his looks. Dalawang oras na ako dito." Hilaw siyang humalakhak sa kabilang linya.

Kinagat ko ang pang-ibabang labi ko. "Harry kasi... si Dad. He's in the police station right now."

"Police station?" dinig ko ang pagka-alarma sa boses niya. "Bakit? Anong nangyari?"

My fingers started shaking so bad. Halos mabitawan ko na ang cellphone sa pagkakadikit sa tainga ko. "He was invited for an interrogation. Someone murdered Uncle Thomas."

Napamura si Harry sa kabilang linya.

"Is this for real?"

"Yes..." pinilit kong pakalmahin ang boses ko. "But I know Dad..." I trailed off, remembering the times when he swore he would kill him with his bare hands for what he did to me. "Hindi niya magagawa iyon..." paos ang boses ko.