Chapter One : Bleak

Author's Note : This book is not set in the present, and not all details translate over from the real world to the world of this story. Girlfriends that may exist in real life might not exist in the story. There may be details and personality traits that do not match up. This story is 100% fiction. Thank you for reading.

Gwen's POV : 

*Beep Beep Beep...*

"Ugh..." I groaned as I rolled over to see my screeching alarm clock. It annoyingly reminded my that it was 8 in the morning and time to start my bismol day. My life has been a living hell, ever since my parents' relationship fell apart. I was eight, so I don't remember it very well. But my mom would talk about it a lot, when she drank. She would blame me, and then go on to take it out on me.

That wasn't important, right now. What was important was making sure I wasn't late for work again.

I worked at an office as a tech consultant. Nothing glorious, but it paid the bills. My true passion, however, was music. I wrote my own songs constantly. It's helped me try to get over all that's ever happened to me. That's not something I'd like to think about, at this moment. Right now, I wanted to make coffee. I wasn't much of a breakfast person, so a liquid "meal" would have to do.

I beat the morning traffic of people hustling off to work.

"Good morning, Gwendolyn," the lady at the front desk greeted me. She was kind, but only when she was sitting at that sleek company desk in the front of the building. In the break room and out of work, there is only one word that could be used to describe her. That word is 'bitch.' She shoves me out of her way, tells me how I'll never succeed, and flirts with my boss. The last one doesn't really affect me, but she thinks it's a personal shot.

"Good morning...." I peer at the name label on her desk. "Jen." I knew her name. But, I like to pretend to forget the names of insignificant and awful people. Out of spite, you could say.

I walked off, enjoying her insulted expression. You think she would catch on to my blatant ignorance, by now. But maybe I'm not the 'ignorant' one. I sat at my desk, answering calls from the company's frantic employees, occasionally going to their computers to fix the problems on my own. Most of them were too technologically inept to know most problems can be fixed by turning it off and then back on.

Though my day was slow, a small bit of joy creeped into my mind when I looked at the time. It was 5 pm. I rushed out of the building and into my car, driving home as fast as I could. Time to write. Every second I don't spend at work, I spend writing and working on my music. It was the one joy in my life. I had a youtube channel, like every other loser with a dream. I didn't have many subscribers, but people saw my videos, here and there. I had a new song ready to unveil, today.

I set up my recording equipment, plugged in my guitar, and turned on my mic. I often wrote heavier music, but, today, I had a soft song. A song about pain, heartache, and trying to move past it all. The words poured out of my like tears flowing from a broken eye. If I'm honest, I teared up a bit while recording. But finally! I had a perfect recording to post. I threw in a little comment about the meaning and posted the video for the whole world to see. Well, the whole 16 people who actively watched my videos.

What a sad little life. At least it's better than the life I had before...