Chapter 4: Vampires and Trouble

Chelsea:

"Come on, this is going to knock your socks off."

"I'm not wearing socks, so I hope not." James says as we both wait outside Vanessa's office for her.

"Miss Carstairs, I trust you know why I've called you in." Vanessa says opening the door for me keeping James outside.

"No ma'am." I answer.

"I've heard you personally know the head of the Illinois Vampire Clans."

"Yes Ma'am." I answer her, "I was actually wondering if James and I would be able to take the time off for him to get to know her."

"Then we are on the same page." She says. "I'd like you to take my son, and his two friends with you to meet her."

"One second Vanessa, Ophelia doesn't take meeting new people lightly, especially shadowhunters, it's taken quite a bit of pull to get her to see just James. I've been writing her for a week about the new members of the Institute. She's finally agreed to meet one of them. It'll have to be a while before Harrison or Bethany can meet her, and her clan is very protective of her, she's only cleared myself and one other person, James. Now, while I am there, I can make arrangements for Harrison and Bethany to both meet her." I explain, "She still hasn't met the majority of the Chicago Institute."

"Very well, I trust that you'll take care of my son." She says.

"I will, I can assure you he is in good hands." I tell her.

"Very well, I will expect you both back by Sunday evening no later." She says.

It's Friday, that's a whole day of James and I with the Vamp clan. "Yes Ma'am. We'll leave as soon as we pack."

"Very good." She says dismissing me.

"We've gotten the go ahead." I tell James. "Go pack, we leave in fifteen minutes."

James gives me a shocked look, "What? I'm giving you a lesson in diplomacy and all you can do is stare at me, this is going to be a long weekend. GO!" I tell him again. He finally moves and heads toward his room.

"You got the go-ahead?" Theo asks coming up next to me.

"She already knew I knew Ophelia."

"Someone must have put a bug in her ear." Theo says.

"Thanks." I tell him as I put my VS package into my suitcase. He gives me a look, "You never know." I tell him, "Maybe I'll start liking Vampires."

"Be careful, Bethany doesn't look like she's one to share."

"She's a twin she's been sharing things since the womb."

"Which is probably why she doesn't like to share this one particular thing."

"It's not up to her who he dates, and if he dates. It's up to him. I'll see you Sunday after dinner." I promise him before heading out to make my way with James to Vampire Central.

"Train?"He asks. "Don't you have a car?"

"Where would I park my car, I can't park it on the Vamp territory, it's covered in runes and filled with holy-water, silver, and runed blades and weapons, all of which are deadly to them, all except the silver. It'd be offensive." I tell him. The glamour on Michael keeping him hidden as he stays strapped to my back, I keep my cane hooked to my ever-present messenger. "And I couldn't park it anywhere else without a fee or risk of having it towed."

"Okay, fair point." He says. "So, what's Ophelia like."

"She is awesome. Regal, but down to earth. You'll like her."