Chapter Four

Rhysand's lawyer had been nice. He listened to my story, he didn't look at me with pity or disgust when I was done. He was young, which shouldn't surprise me but it did. Rhysand had a lot of friends in high places, I should've realized this was just another one of those friends.

Thankfully I didn't have to endure his quiet stares alone. Cassian had offered to come with me, as well as Rhysand. I let Cassian come, I didn't let Rhysand even though this was his friend. I didn't want everyone to hear how horrible my life had become. I didn't want them all to hear what the lawyer had to say.

Because I had a feeling he was going to tell me this was all hopeless.

After he looked through the pictures Feyre took that night he sighed, "well the good news is he has no idea Rey belongs to him. For all he knows you adopted the child last year."

My cheeks turned pink, "well that would be hard to explain the resemblance then."
He smiled, the first smile he offered in the entire three hours we had been here, "I just mean that he doesn't have a clue that he has a child. You can pass her off as Cassian's, pretend she belongs to someone else. In my honest opinion, I think he's trying to scare you. Because you never went after him for the assault, for raping you. He thinks he can bait you again."

I felt a stab at my heart as Cassian reached over and picked up my hand. The lawyer noticed, "but that won't keep him away from me."

He nodded, "no. So I'm going to get a restraining order issued. That will keep him away from you and your family. I can draw up custody papers, but for now lets see what the restraining order does and if it keeps him away from you."

Before I knew it we were in the car heading home. My mind was racing, my hands were shaking. Cassian hadn't said a word since we left. I swallowed my fears and looked at him.

"So what do you think?" I whispered softly wondering if he was okay with everyone thinking Rey was him. I'm pretty sure they already did. But he was my best friend, I wouldn't make him do something he didn't want to do.

He sighed, "I think that lawyer is too young to help us. I think he doesn't know what he's doing and a piece of paper isn't going to keep that asshole away," his jaw clenched, "I already tell people she's mine. Not daughter, but you get what I mean. Don't worry, I'll help you."

I nodded as I bit my cheek, "Cassian. I don't know what to do. I feel so lost now that he's back. I feel like I've stepped back in time two years to that night it all happened. I can't remember the details, but I remember how I felt. I remember the fear and how scared I was for myself. But now it's doubled. Now I'm scared for me and my daughter."

Tears filled my eyes as I told him the truth. He let out a slow breath and I slide towards the middle of his truck. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and hugged me from the side. I buried my face in his shoulder, trying as hard as I could to keep myself together. I was tired of falling apart. I was tired of letting my emotions control me.

Cassian was quiet. He didn't say anything as he drove down the highway. The radio played softly, if that had been a different day a different hour I might have been singing along with it. I pulled away from him and tried to pull myself together. I saw the exit for town and I knew I had to be ready to greet my daughter.

I didn't want her to know something was wrong.

Cassian gripped the wheel tighter as he drove down the street, "what if you guys come stay with me for a little bit?"

I sighed. I was back on my side of the truck, "no. I won't let him bully me or scare me, Cassian. I won't force my child out of her home. She's two, she'll be scared sleeping anywhere but her own bed. We'll be okay. We've got Feyre."