Chapter 2 - Agent Bex

Chapter 2 –  Agent Bex

The door flew off its hinges and I saw a figure in black.

“Mia get up,” I shrieked as I leapt to my feet. There was no need; she was already awake.

“What in the name of Kevin the pigeon is going on?”

“I dunno, but I’m gonna find out.” She grabbed my arm as I tried to walk towards the figure; turning to face her I noticed that Lily and El were awake.

“Becky, just don’t do anything stupid,” she cautioned.

“This is me we’re talking about; stupid is my middle name. As is cliché.”

“Just don’t get killed.”

“I’ll try. Look after the kids.”

Creeping up against a wall, I edged closer to the figure. I swore I remembered that face! She swung around and aimed her weapon at me, lowering it quickly.

“Agent Bex! You probably won’t remember me-”

“Kat!” I was hugging her before I knew it. I remembered her.

This is going to need some explanation, I know. But we don’t have much time right now, so I will give you the edited, undetailed version.

When I was six, I joined the FBI. Agent Bex King, I thought it sounded so cool. Being so young they gave me a mentor, Leo, who was ten years older than me and became my brother almost. When I was ten, I nearly got killed so left the force. They wiped my mind, but my advanced brain started to break through that; by the time I was twelve, I contacted someone and they had given me brief update, and texted me every year.

I knew that Leo, my mentor, had turned evil. I knew which agents had died, how many newbies had come, and that I was still the youngest agent. Then I lost contact; but I had managed to beg back some of my stuff.

I promise I will explain more later, but right now I am kind of in mortal danger, so back to the story.

“Oh Bex, I missed you.”

“Rebecca Charlotte King what the actual fajitas is happening?” Mia screeched at me.

“Long story. Kat, what the actual fajitas is happening?” I asked, ignoring the fact that Mia called me Rebecca – nobody calls me that and lives. Or at least, isn’t yelled at.

“It’s Leo. He’s back, he’s bad and he’s after you. He isn’t the Leo you knew, he’s-”

“I know, I knew, evil, I know.”

“What? How?”

“The brainwash wore off or something, I dunno, but I contacted someone.”

“You were always a little genius.”

“Yeah yeah, keep talking.”

“Sorry. But he’s after you and he’s willing to kill anyone to get to you. He has mental issues or something. Bex, you have to get out of here. You and your friends, the four of you, you have to go. We can hold him off for a bit, but not long enough to help you. Pack a small bag, and there is a car out front. Leave your phone.”

I was used to not getting enough information, so I knew what to do.

“Okay. I have some gear as well, I’ll grab that too. Thank you for coming, but if any of you die for me… I can’t let anyone else do that.”

I had the start of a flashback, but managed to hold it back; now wasn’t the time.

Instead I just nodded and went back to the others. Bits of ash in the air became noticed to me, and I started trying to not breathe them in.