Chapter 1 - Sleepover

Chapter 1 – Sleepover

“Hey Mimi,” I said. My best friend Mia said hi back and dumped her stuff in my room.

“So my sister Lillian is having a friend too tonight. They’d normally sleep upstairs… but she’s being difficult and says she wants to go in  the downstairs TV room with us,” I said, as if I was continuing a conversation from a few seconds ago.

“That’s fine. How old are they?”

“Lily’s twelve, and Eleanora… is also twelve?” I wasn’t quite sure.

“Meh, I’m almost sixteen and you are really sixteen, so we can squish them.”

“Only just sixteen,” I reminded her.

“Still sixteen, Becky!”

I laughed and we went out to the TV room. There were mattresses; four of them, and tons of pillows and blankets.

“Mine,” we immediately said, together, flopping down on separate mattresses. “Win!” We were already in pajamas so could have not moved and been fine.

“Lil and Ella and Mum are getting pizza; I got you a Meatlovers.”

 “Cool. Do you want to watch this,” she asked, bringing This is Us out of her bag.

“Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!” One Direction mania fangirl fest! She slipped it into the DVD player and pressed play; the gorgeous faces and voices of the One Direction boys flooded our senses.

Unfortunately twenty minutes later Lily and Ella walked in and switched it off.

“Hey!”

“Ew, not One Direction,” my sister moaned.

“Ew, not Lillian,” I replied. She rolled her eyes and took the disc out. Slipping it in the case, she chucked it at Mia and then put it on to normal TV.

“Oh yeah, there’s food,” Ella told us. We rolled our eyes.

Mia and Ella were like sisters to me; I had known Mia for four years, since we were twelve, and Ella for about the same, seeing as she met Lily when they were eight

I think.

Digging in to our pizzas (arguing for the zillionth time who had the better flavour) we decided that we wanted to watch 1D. So we grabbed my laptop, the disc and some pillows and took it to my room. Wriggling under the frame of my bed, we lied on our stomachs and started the movie; a tradition that goes way back to our first sleepover, when we watched Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince for the first time on my rubbishy school laptop in 2009.

Skip the movie

Yawning, I closed the lid of the laptop. “All-nighter?” Mia suggested.

“Nah, I’m kinda exhausted.”

“Why – oh,” Mia said. We both thought back to the day before. We had been running around at our job as party helpers, looking after little kids and animals, and basically killing ourselves all day. Then we were texting until about four am, and she woke me up at eight by calling and saying, “Oh My God did you hear about the new update on Harry Styles? He was spotted getting a haircut with some chick and now the hairdresser has gone missing!”

Which of course woke me up.

“I reckon the little ones are asleep by now. They still act like nine year olds.” It’s true.

She stretched, hit her arm on the bed and then elbowed me hard in the ribs. Getting the message, I wriggled sideways and escaped from the prison that was under my bed. “We’re getting a little big. New tradition?” I suggested. My brilliant idea was met with another elbow in my ribs. Mia and I were fairly psycho, violent and totally brilliant, so a lot of bodily harm is just to be expected. We have had people question the authenticity of our friendship because we hit each other and insulted each other so much, but it was all in fun.

“We can just continue the old tradition. Time.”

I checked my watch. “Eleven thirty. Ish.”

She followed me out into the TV room, where the girls were asleep. Using our feet to move them a bit, we collapsed onto our beds and chatted for a bit, finally caving in to our yawns.

“Goodnight, Mia.”

“Night Becky.”

I was nearly asleep when instincts kicked in and told me something was wrong; I sat up, looked  around and thirty seconds later I heard a minor explosion and the door was smashed in as someone rudely interrupted our sleepover.