Chapter 4 - Driving

Chapter 4 – Driving

An hour into the drive people started complaining.

“It’s too hot!”

I turned the air conditioning up.

“It’s too cold!”

I turned it down.

“Say it is hot and I will Taser you.”

It was an hour later that the protests started again.

“I’m hungry!”

“I’m thirsty!”

“And I need the bathroom,” Mia told me.

We stopped at McDonalds and I was just about to let everyone out of the car when I remembered that our lives were in danger.

“Everyone remember your weapons. Conceal them; but be ready to shoot. Order, and then watch everyone. Be careful.”

Sending a quick text, I unlocked the doors and stepped out.

“Uh, Becky? Are you seriously going into McDonalds dressed like that?” Mia asked.

“What’s wrong with – oh.” I looked at myself, and realized I was wearing the catsuit. “Hang on.”

Unzipping my bag, I put some denim shorts and a hoodie on top of it; then I took off the dangerous boots and laced up my bright blue Doc Martens.

“Better,” Mia said. It looked like I was wearing a hoodie, shorts and purple tights. Still weird, but I could just have had an eccentric fashion taste. Like Lil’s.

Stuffing a gun into the pocket of the hoodie, and some cash into the pocket, I nodded and we all went into the fast food chain.

“What do you two want?”

“PANCAKES!” They yelled.

“Guys, it is four am. Calm the fajitas down. Mia, can you order and stuff – I’ll have a chocolate thickshake, a coffee, a sundae and four hash browns. One of you come with me to the bathroom.”

El stood up and followed me; I checked that she had her Taser, and then quickly used the loo.

When I came out Emily was gone. I quickly washed my hands, rested my finger on the trigger of the gun in my pocket, and cautiously pushed open the door.

“Ella?”

Going out, I started to get frantic. “Eleanora!”

“Over here,” she called. Mia was sitting with them at a table.

“What the schizniks are you doing out here? Why aren’t you in the bathroom?”

“Mia said food was ready. And there were hardly any murderers in there.”

“Ella, this isn’t a game. This is serious. I have seen people die from lesser slip-ups than this. You guys have to start listening to me; I have had spy training, I have lived spy missions. I know more about this than you do; I hopefully know how to keep us alive.There are lots of people who want the opposite for us now. So next time I say, “Stay quiet” “keep guard” or “get me a spoon” you should obey if you want to live! Am I understood?”

They all nodded. “Good. Now go get me a spoon.” Laughing, Ella did; I ate my sundae fast, and sighed in happiness.

Starting a hash brown, my phone buzzed; I grabbed it and grinned. “Hey Missie, you wanna have a go at driving?” I asked, using an old nickname.