Chapter 18

O: Where did Gauri go?

D: I think she went to the back garden. Om, I think you should talk to her and tell her that you will support her.

O: I know. She needs that reassurance so that she is confident when she starts.

Among all the flowers in the garden, Omkara's flower was looking up in the cloud. Om sits beside her and Gauri looks at him. It has been 5 minutes and both of them did not say anything.

G: Don't you have anything to do? Why are you sitting beside me?

O: I want to listen...

G: Listen to what??

O: Everything... (Pointing at the water fountain) The sound of the water, the bird chirping, the cars running, the kids running... Gauri, everyone is so busy that no one is ready to stop and take a breath. I think this is a point in your life where it is time to stop and take a breath. Whatever you are thinking, tell me, and as a friend, I will show you all the options. You can make the final decision. Think of me of a father at the church. I am willing to listen to your confession but first you need to be willing to share.

Gauri takes a deep breath.

G: Omkaraji, I am scared. What if they all make fun of me when I make a mistake in class? All these people at art exhibition laughed at me just because I cannot speak a language. A language is used to communicate but they use it as a status feature. I am so scared that I cannot learn this language and make a fool out of myself.

O: This does not sound like my Gauri?

G(Thinking): My Gauri...

O: She does not care what everyone does, she will follow your heart. Are you my Gauri?

G: Yes, I am.

O: Gauri, I will always be by your side with whatever decision you make. I will not force anything on it as I understand how tough it is to follow forced decisions. Then, think about it and let me know what you want to do.

Om gets up.

G: Omkaraji, I do not know if I am doing the right thing or not. But, I want you to hold my hand and guide me through this. I have decided to learn English and I need your help. Also, one more thing, thank you Omkaraji.

O: I will organize everything for you. So, Gauri, our classes start tomorrow night. See you tomorrow.