Chapter 28

O: (Thinking) It looks like she is dreaming of that princess experience. Fine then, I will give it to you.

Om takes a shoe out of the box and bends down.

G: Om what are you doing?

O: Gauri, can you please try on the slipper?

Smiling, she puts on the glass shoes.

G: They are a perfect fit.

She walks in them and Om smiles at her.

O(thinking): Even though her dress is green, she does look like the princesses I draw in my artwork. Just like the Cinderella in my piece.

G: Bhaiyya... did you read Cinderella? After, her prince just takes her to the castle, they get married and happily ever after....

Gauri stops talking and turns to Om.

G: Sorry, Omkaraji. I did not mean to say that you are my prince. After all... we are just friends.

Om just looks at her and his eyes starting to water. He quickly turns around so no one notices it.

O(thinking): Why?... Why does it hurt so much?.... Why does it hurt when she says that I am not her prince?.... Why does it hurt when she calls me her friend? I have called her my friend but it did not hurt at all. Did Gauri have the same feelings?

Dandi noticed Om' s reactions.

D(Thinking): Now you know how Gauri feels when you called her a friend. It hurts because you want to be her prince, Om. When will you understand that?

Om reaches his hand and indirectly asks for her hand. Gauri looks at him confused.

G: Oh, you are asking me to give me my hand to you, just like in the fairytales.

Om nods. Instead of taking his hand, Gauri wraps her arm around his arm and smiles at him.

G: It does not look like you know the stories, Omkaraji. The princess always wraps her arm around her prince's arm....

Female Saathiya plays.

Gauri takes her hand off of him.

G: I will meet you in the car.

Gauri goes to the car with Om standing there in shock.

O(thinking): Her prince... What do I do now? Did she just say to my face that she loves me?

Male Saathiya plays.

O(thinking): But if she did then why did she let go of me as soon as she said. Does she hate me now for what I did to her? She cannot and will not hate me.

Om follows her and heads to the car.