Chapter 20

The bell rings and Gauri walks out of the school. She runs to find an auto before Om gets there.

G: Om is paying my fees and he is helping me so much. I cannot be dependent on him as it will hurt even more when I leave him. Also, I do not want to be a burden.

Gauri hears the car honking and she looks up. The driver's side window opens and it was Om.

O: I told you that I will pick you up. Are you trying to ditch me so you can miss your other classes as that is not going to happen on my watch.

Gauri comes to his car and sits on the passenger side.

G: I could not find you so I thought you were busy. I did not want to call you and bother you from your meetings.

O: Gauri, you have to understand something. I will always find time for you.

Female Saathiya plays and Gauri looks at him.

O: I am a good friend and will keep my promise.

Gauri looks away from him and looks outside with tears in her eyes. Both of them were quiet for a while.

O(thinking): It is so awkward seeing her quiet like this. Did she have any problems at school?

O(says): How was school?

G: It was okay.

O: Did you make any friends?

Gauri turns around and looks at him. Then she smiles.

G: Omkaraji, I made so many friends.

Gauri starts to count on her fingers and then once she reaches 10, she thinks.

Om just looks at her in surprise.

O(thinking): How many friends did she make?

G: 30 friends.

O: What 30?

G: And three of them are teachers.

O: Teachers. (Thinking) She has that personality where people are attracted to her. I am glad that I know her.

O: So what did you learn today?

G: Why are we talking about this?

O: You need to practice your english at home too. You need to be happy that you have me to help you.

G: Fine... my name is Gauri Kumari Sarma.

O: Sharma

G: Sarma

O: Gauri.. shhh arms

G: Sharma

O: GAURI!

In frustration, Om punches the steering wheel and accidentally hits the horn. The biker in front of him turns around and gives Om a weird look.

G: Did you see his look? What a funny dude?

Gauri moves closer to Om and he feels weird.

O(Thinking): I have never felt like this before. Why is it always like this? First it was current and now this. I do not even know how to describe this feeling.

HONK!! HONK!

Om snaps out of it and Gauri was honking on the horn and the biker was mad.

O: Gauri, what are you doing? Why are you starting a fight with him?

G: The fight is worth it for his face. Look at him.

Om looks at him and his face was scrunched up in anger. Om starts to laugh.

G: So, you do agree with me. He looks like a...

O: Chimpanzee suffering from a severe sunburn.

The biker turns off a bike.

G: Uh Oh. I think he is mad. Om, we need to escape.

Om steps on the gas and passes the angry biker. They both start laughing. Om raises hand to hi-five Gauri. She looks at his hand and then slowly hi-fives him.