Chapter 19

It is early morning and Gauri wakes up suddenly as she hears the sound of the bell. Gauri rolls off the bed.

G: What the? What a great way to start off the day?

Gauri looks at the clock and it was 6:30 a.m.

G: Who put the alarm on so early? I usually wake up at 7:30.

O: I did. Good morning. Today is your first day of school so get ready quickly. We need to leave early to avoid traffic.

Annoyed, Gauri heads to the washroom and later comes out.

G: Oh my Mata!! Who's going to cook lunch and dinner if I am gone to school? I need to wake up early tomorrow to prepare everything.

Gauri walks in the kitchen and finds Om cooking something and Dandi cleaning some pots.

G: What is going on here?

O: Gauri can you taste this halwa for me? You know how much I hate sweets.

Om takes a spoonful and brings it close to her mouth. She opens her mouth and then Om pulls the spoon back. Gauri gives him an annoyed look. Om blows on the spoon and then give it to her.

O: what? I cannot put a hot mouthful of halwa in your mouth so I cooled it down for you. If you burn your tongue, then it will irritate you during class.

Om starts to laugh as soon as he puts the spoon in her mouth. He takes his hands off the spoon and Gauri stands there with the handle of the spoon sticking out of her mouth, totally confused.

O: Dandi, does she look like an angry kid who just lost their candy? Gauri, you are so cute.

Om pinches her cheeks and Gauri smiles with the spoon still in her mouth. Om takes the spoon out and Gauri gives him a thumbs up.

D: So from now on, your only focus is studying. We will do all the chores and you just study. Just give us a list of things to do and we will do it for you.

G: Are you sure? You will even clean the dust.

Om and Dandi nod.

G: Laundry as well?

O: We will get a washing machine and throw everything in.

G: We will see how long this lasts. Just give me a week notice though because I know both your definitions of clean. You love messes so it will take about a week to bring back the house to normal.

O: Don't worry Gauri( he puts his arm around Dandi) we will take care of it.

Gauri goes to the car followed by Om with his keys.