01. Fever

— • —

— • —

        It wasn't cold, and that deeply bothered her. Because she had no excuse for wearing tights and a huge sweater, except for the fact that she had a cold, when it was relatively warm out. She had to be dragged out of her bed that morning, her mother giving up after the her third try, muttering something about not caring wether or not she becomes a failure. It was blatant sarcasm, something she always expected from the woman, seeing as it was one of the many things she learned from her mother. But it was enough to make her groan and roll over, causing her mother to recruit some help.

         All it took was a few jumps and some empty threats, and Luna Giraldo had no choice but to leave her bedroom and trudge her way to school. Being squished in between a bunch of New Yorkers wasn't her ideal way to start the morning, especially when any time she'd sniffle, they'd attempt to scoot farther away just to be rudely pushed back towards her. Times like this she regretted picking a high school that wasn't closer to her home, dooming her to waking up early and running to catch the right train.

        Liz Barns had been relentlessly poking at the girl's side with her bag, unintentionally of course. As soon as one of the girls got a seat, the other automatically got a seat on her lap. This time, Liz got to sit, and Luna settled on her lap. It was usually the other way around, but Liz did not want to get sick in anyway, leaving Luna to feel the uncomfortable jabbing of the ugly bag her best friend refused to get rid of.

        "Where's Mia?" Luna sniffled, digging into her bookbag for another tissue. She was leant forward away from Liz, her friend attempting to braid her hair despite their crowded environment.

        "She had practice this morning," Liz informed her, making Luna nod. Luna remained still and silent for the remainder of the train ride, minus the constant sneezing and sniffling.

        Eventually they made it to school–Midtown School of Science & Technology. It wasn't originally Luna's first choice for high schools, but it was Mia Lancaster's. Mia and Luna had always been a pair, being next door neighbors since they were five years old. So when Mia came over one day after dinner to tell Luna she was applying here, Luna pushed away her hatred for science, and put it at the top of her high school application.

        Liz went to hook her arm with Luna's, but Luna shook her head, reminding the girl that they just spent 30 minutes listening to her sneeze into her arm. The oversized sweater made the girl look worse than she was, practically drowning her in the material, but being in such a terrible mood, Luna couldn't be bothered to find another outfit.

         Luna avoided eye contact with most people, allowing Liz to do all the greetings as she walked past. Eventually they reached Luna's locker, Liz leaning against the one beside hers. "How'd you get a cold anyways?"