13. Passing

— • —

— • —

          The past few days were exhausting.

           Luna's afternoons were spent in the library beside Peter, her body slightly leant against his as she listened to him explain things to her. On more than one occasion she found herself leaning her head against his shoulder, Peter unable to control the blush that would creep onto his cheeks. Ever since she saw the bruise around his eye, she felt the need to constantly check up on the boy. Before, they launched right into the tutoring, but now, Luna made it her duty to ask Peter about how his day went the previous day. Peter could never share anything interesting with her, the only interesting aspect of his life being a secret, but still Luna listened intently to everything he would say to her. He ended up opening up to her a little more, sometimes finding himself talking to her about things before he did with Ned.

           Following tutoring with Peter was her self-defense classes. The three girls went every day after four, extremely eager and ready to kick ass. Liz called it the ultimate caucasian package deal once she found out Mia's parents splurged on getting the three girls a personal teacher. For two hours, they'd be in a padded room in the back of a gym, their teacher Esther teaching them every move she knew. Luna excelled greatly, Esther even suggesting she moved on to actual martial arts to settle the fire she had inside of her. It's safe to say Luna had a lot of pent up rage after the terror of what happened subsided; with every kick she pictured the man stuck to the wall.

           With so much work came the pain. The walk from the train to school was only five minutes, but it was the most agonizing pain the girls have ever felt. Flash Thompson would make it his mission to poke fun at the girls whenever they'd wince in pain, just to have Liz snap back with a snarky remark.

           On top of that, she had her first biology test since Peter began tutoring her once more. Peter made sure to give her some words of reassurance before she took the test, Mrs.Barry waiting patiently until he finished before handing out the test. She had a headache by the time she left the class, but she felt okay about it this time. Usually she'd leave after the test prepared to pull out her hair out of stress, but this time her fingers didn't dare come in contact with a single strand. It was refreshing in a sense, the burden of passing no longer holding her down.

          It was a week later that Mrs.Barry handed back the tests, calling each student up to collect the test and listen to a comment she had about it. Luna was sitting anxiously beside her lab partner, looking from his 90% to Mrs.Barry multiple times, waiting to be called up.

          "Luna."

           The chair squeaked when Luna almost jumped out of it, making her cringe. She released a breathe before making her way to the front, her fingers toying with the hem of her hoodie. As she approached, Mrs.Barry's smile didn't falter, relaxing her slightly.

          Mrs.Barry held the paper against her chest, her eyes bright. She leaned in slightly, Luna leaning in as well. "I'm proud of you," Mrs.Barry admitted, lowering the test paper for Luna to see.

          Peter was sitting in the back of the class, watching intently for Luna's reactions. Her hands flew to her mouth, something he could only hope was positive. Mrs.Barry nodded at something she said before handing the paper over to the girl. When Luna turned around, she wore a grin, and Peter relaxed. She passed.

           Luna was staring at her 94% in amazement as she walked back to her desk. She could feel her lab partner lean over and examine her test paper, a huff leaving his lips seeing her grade was higher than his, stripping him of his bragging rights. Her head shot up suddenly, and she looked over to Peter, who sadly wasn't looking at her but instead talking to his lab partner. She was sure her eyes were shining with admiration, and had this been a cartoon, her eyes would be in the shape of hearts and her heart would be beating out of her chest.

           The bell rang, snapping Luna out of her daze. She shoved her book into her bag as quick as she could, stumbling over her own feet as she rushed out of the class.

           "Peter!" Said boy turned at the calling of his name, cracking a smile at the sight of an overwhelmingly excited Luna scurrying towards him. When she reached him, she held up her test, showing the red 94% to him. "I passed," she grinned.

           Peter nodded, a smile playing on his lips, "You did."

           Luna took a second to fold up the test and place it in her pocket, before throwing her arms around Peter. He stumbled back slightly in surprise, but slowly returned the hug. She was too happy to think about the fact that Mia and Liz would have a field day if they saw them, or the fact that when she pulled back her cheeks would be the same shade of red as her hoodie. She passed, that's all that mattered right now. 

           "I can't thank you enough Peter," She sighed, still clinging onto the boy. "I'm just so happy right now."

            Now it was Peter's turn to be ridiculously overwhelmed. What was he supposed to be thinking about at this moment? The fact that people were walking past them and staring for a little too long? How Luna's hair smelled so sweet that it was entrancing? Or maybe that her eyelashes were tickling his neck every time she blinked? "You're welcome," he choked out eventually, loosening his hold on her to release her.

           Luna held on for an extra second before letting go, stepping back with a smile. She opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off by a series of coughs.

           The two blushing teens turned to their right, three grinning teens staring back at them. "Well wasn't that cute?" Liz teased, Mia beginning to dig in her bag for what Luna could only assume was the book. "Lunch anybody?"

— • —

ITS NOVEMBER 17TH
AKA LUNA GIRALDO'S BIRTHDAY