12. Presidential Candidate

— • —

— • —

           Neither Liz or Mia decided to inform Luna that Mr.Warren was looking for her the entire day.

            So when she was preparing to take a nap in algebra, already informing Ned that she'd need his notes, she was shocked to be called out of class before even lowering her head. She instantly relaxed at the sight of Mr.Warren, the teacher bouncing in place as he waited in the hallway for her to step out. She barely got a word out before he was enveloping her, her face squished against his chest.

          "Mr.Warren?" She squeaked, not wanting to push away in fear of being rude, but also not wanting to choke on his pungent cologne.

           He released her with a sigh, his hands resting on her shoulders. "That last show was the best performance I've ever seen from a freshman," he complimented, a wide smile resting on his face.

           She swallowed harshly, flashbacks of what happened after her performance surfacing. "Thank you," she cleared her throat, intertwining her fingers to stop them from shaking. "Is that all? Because..." She gestured back to her class with her head.

           Mr.Warren shook his head, squeezing her shoulders. "I have a proposal." Luna nodded, waiting for him to continue, knowing the drama teacher loved a good dramatic pause. "Well, I spoke with Doug yesterday about your performance." Doug was the president of the drama club, taking part in every school production that's ever occurred. Mr.Warren called him the backbone of every show, saying that even as a senior, Doug took time out of his day to help the drama club the same way he did when he was just a freshman. Him and Luna got to know each other while at practices, Doug being the naturally friendly person he is made Luna feel instantly comfortable around him. He'd always be sure to reassure the girl when she was unhappy with her performance, or praise her when it was deserved, which he thought was pretty frequently. "As you know, he's graduating this year."

           Luna frowned at the thought, who would run the drama club once he leaves? Like Mr.Warren read her mind, he said, "Doug has a few candidates in mind to take over his role, and I'm happy to say, your name was mentioned."

           Luna was rendered silent. Her immediate first thought was why. Why did he think she was worthy of being the president, when there were so many other people who've been apart of it longer than she has? Those people deserved it more than some freshman who just joined a few months ago. She was going to open her mouth to reject the offer out of pure guilt, but then she remembered her need for a scholarship. Being president of the drama club as a sophomore would look good on her college application, rather than just part of the drama club.

          "Wow," was all she was able to say, and Mr.Warren nodded excitedly, not taking notice of the girl's tense shoulders.