2 - Coming Out 101

So as you can see, this chapter is full of tips on coming out. Will add/edit if need be.

Before I start, I want to remind you that you are in no way obligated to come out and therefore do not have to come out if you don't want to. 

First off, safety

You need to know who it's safe to come out to and when it's safe to come out. If you don't know where someone stands on LGBT+ issues, just subtly bring it up in a conversation, or just flatly ask, "What do you think of (identity)?" or "What if I told you that I was (identity)?" If they don't react very well, there's your answer. The reason you'd want to know where they stand on the LGBT+ community is because in this day and age, you never know who has hatred and a gun, and because of that, it's a matter of life and death. 

You should be sure that you are in a safe environment. You should ask some friends that already know to be with you when you come out to someone, and if you aren't out to any of your friends or they're busy, do it in a public place so that if the worst happens it will be highly unlikely that they can or will physically hurt you. But if the person you are coming out to does try to hurt you, or you know that they might try, be sure that you are able to defend yourself. If you don't know taekwondo or any other martial art, you should have a can of pepper spray at the ready, because knives can get you in trouble.  

Being prepared.

Be ready to answer any questions people may have. Some people may not understand your identity or why you identify as such, so they may have questions for you because they want to understand and support you. 

You need to be prepared for the worst. If the worst happens, have a bag packed with some or all of these items: 

      • Clothes 
      • Any medication that you take  (I cannot stress this enough)
      • Hygiene products (include but are not limited to dental products [toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.], pads/tampons, deodorant, hairbrush, comb, etc) 
      • Your binder if you bind 
      • Any form of identification (such as driver's license, state/provincial/territorial ID, passport, birth certificate, etc) (This is in case you need to go to authorities or if you're getting a job.) 
      • Money 
      • A blanket 
      • Anything else that you may need

Make sure that you have a place to go, like a friend's house or a family member who supports you. You should also be sure that you have someone to vent to. I'm really sorry I'm talking about being prepared for the worst, but I feel that this needs to be said. 

Other tips and advice. 

If you know that the worst is going to happen, I would suggest waiting until you can financially support yourself. 

Make sure that you've come out to yourself before you start coming out to others. This way, you will be proud of who you are and you or other people won't try to change the way they are. 

If you are religious, you are in no way obligated to choose between your faith and your sexuality. 

In some cases, you may need to give someone time to digest the news. 

Coming out to just one person can make coming out to other people so much easier.