9 - Effects of Testosterone

So if you don't know, many transgender and nonbinary people go on hormones in order to appear more masculine or feminine, in a process known as hormone replacement therapy or HRT. This chapter talks about some of the effects testosterone, which is the hormone that gives the masculine appearance. 

Testosterone can be taken in four ways. The most common way is through injections where you can inject either into your thigh or your abdomen. Injections are also the cheapest. The second and third ways are with either a patch or gel. You put these on your skin daily. The fourth way is a pill. This isn't always prescribed as it is ineffective in stopping menstrual periods and I've been told that they damage your liver. 

Estrogen blockers may also be prescribed.

Hair: Your hair is going to be different and it's also going to be everywhere. All of your hair becomes thicker and your body will become hairier everywhere, especially in the genital area and around the anus. You will also grow facial hair, which you'll want to groom on a regular basis, and if you don't want your facial hair then you're going to have to shave every day. 

Side note: You may also experience male-pattern baldness

Voice: Your voice is going to get deeper because of testosterone. Your voice will stay deep if you stop T for any reason, but that's basically the only thing that stays manly if you stop T. 

Acne: Testosterone can give you some serious acne. Take care of your face as much as you can and see a dermatologist if you have to.

Body Fat Redistribution: When you've been on T for a while, your body fat redistributes to certain parts of your body to give it a more masculine appearance. It will go to your hips so that they're not so defined, and you'll also lose some fat from your breasts when it redistributes. 

Muscle: If you work out then it'll be easier to build muscle.

Uterus Shuts Down: Because of the testosterone that you're putting in your body, your uterus doesn't need to function anymore, so it shuts down. It also shuts down your menstrual cycle, which is kinda good. You can have surgery to remove it, but if you don't then your periods will come back if you stop testosterone. 

Side note: Although testosterone greatly reduces your chances of getting pregnant, it does not eliminate it altogether.

Urinary Tract Infections: Going on hormones increases your risk of getting UTI's 

Increased Sex Drive: Testosterone causes you to have a sex drive, and an increased level in testosterone will also cause an increase in your sex drive, which will kinda suck if you don't like sex. 

Genitalia: Your genital area is going to change too since you're putting testosterone in your body. Your clitoris is gonna become more sensitive and it basically becomes a mini dick. 

Sweat: You will sweat more.

Side Effects: 

Changes of smells: The smell of your urine and sweat will change. 

Mood changes 

Vaginal dryness

Risks: 

Liver disease 

Thickening of the blood

Last updated: 2/12/19