3 - Binding 101

This part is about binding, so if you are ftm or if you bind, read on. Will add stuff if needed.

Alright, so first off, safety. You should definitely read up on safety when binding if you don't want to learn the hard way what binding unsafely can do to you. 

First and foremost with binding safety,  DO NOT BIND WITH ACE BANDAGES UNLESS YOU WANNA BREAK YOUR RIBS!!!!!! Ace bandages were not designed to move with your body, and binding with ace bandages can damage so many things, including you ribs, your skeletal structure, and your lungs, and you can actually die from binding with ace bandages because of the risk of a broken rib puncturing your lungs. Binding with ace bandages can also put you at risk for not being able to get top surgery! So don't even think about binding with an ace bandage. If you are wearing it right now, take that shit off what the hell are you thinking. 

DO NOT BIND WITH DUCT TAPE!!!!!! It is not breathable at all and can cause damage to your skin, such as scarring or tearing. If you are in that unfortunate situation, take a hot shower and try to peel it off. You can also try lotion. If it doesn't come off easily, time to go to the ER. 

Do not bind for more than eight hours. Binding too long can lead to back pain and all kinds of other aches. If you're in school and you bind, take it off when you get home. Also, breaks help too. Even if it's for a few minutes, it will help, so if you get an ache or pain from your binder, go to the bathroom or somewhere private to take a break from binding. You should also give yourself time to recover, so on weekends or if you're not going anywhere on a particular day, take a break from binding. 

Do not sleep while binding. It can cause problems similar to sleep apnea and because of that it can disturb your sleeping pattern. 

Do not exercise while binding. Binders don't exactly move very well with your body. Plus it will be difficult to catch your breath when your chest is compressed.

Do not bind while hurt or sick. If you damaged your chest area, like say you broke one of your ribs, then don't bind. It could damage that broken rib more. And if you're sick with a really bad cough or something like that, don't bind. Trying to breathe while sick is hard enough, but binding while sick is another story. 
Look just don't do it ok?

Purchasing a binder. 

First thing's first: know your measurements. You need to know your measurements in order to know what size binder you need. GC2B has instructions on how to measure yourself. If you are in between two sizes, get the next size up, because you're probably gonna grow. Don't buy the lower size because that can damage you.

You should also know what brand you want. The best brands of binders are Underworks and GC2B. But Underworks binders were designed for cis men with gynecomastia, and GC2B binders were designed for trans men and other people who wish to bind, and the company is actually LGBT+ owned. I would recommend getting a GC2B binder if you can. 

Be sure that what you are purchasing is within your price range. If you pay for your own stuff online, be sure that you have enough money on your card or in your account to be able to afford a binder. It is also suggested that you get more than one binder so that you can still bind while the other one is being washed. 

You can also enter binder giveaways or find a program where people donate their binders to other people. 

Taking care of and using your binder. 

If you have a binder, that's awesome! But there's also stuff you need to know to take care of it. 

Always follow directions on how to wash it. Most binders are meant to be hand-washed, so please hand wash them. Also, always line dry your binder. Do not put it in the dryer. 

Know how to use it. There's a debate on how to put on a binder. Some say it goes around your waist, some say it goes over your head. GC2B has released a statement that says that their binders are supposed to go over your head. 

If you're trying to hide your binder while wearing it, button ups and some t-shirts are the way to go. 

To take it off, the easiest way for me is to pull it over your head from the bottom, kinda turning it inside out.

Sources: 

   • http://www.idontdoboxes.org/your-friendly-neighborhood-binding-safety-guide/ 

   • http://point5cc.com/binding-101-tips-to-bind-your-chest-safely/ 

   • http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/news/a55546/how-to-bind-your-chest/ 

Last edit: 8/6/18