12 - Being Trans In School

It is August 2, 2018, and school may or may not have started for you yet. But If you are transgender in school, and aren't sure how to tell your teachers that you're trans, then your internet dad is here to help. 

~ First and foremost, you have rights as a trans student. Please refer to Chapter 5. 

~ If your school is unaccepting or full of transphobes, DON'T COME OUT! I understand that you want to be your true self but this is for your safety. 

If you do end up being outed, try to be proud of yourself no matter what people say. It may suck, but one day you won't have to go to school with them anymore.

~ If you do decide to come out, send an email to all of your teachers before school starts, stating that the name that's on the roster is not the name that you want to be called, and tell them your preferred name and pronouns. For example: 

Dear (teacher), 

My name is (name) and i will be taking (class) with you this year. I am transgender and on the roster is lists my name as (deadname). I would appreciate it if you would refer to me as (name) and use (preferred pronouns) when referring to me. I look forward to taking your class this year. 

Sincerely, 

(name) 

You can definitely write your own version of this if you want, if you don't want to disclose the fact that you're transgender. 

~ Contact the school administration so they can make accommodations for you, like letting you use the bathroom of your choosing, or to play on a boys' team instead of a girls' team. 

~ If anyone violates your rights as a trans student, contact someone. 

I hope this helps!