Chapter 111 - 121

Chapter 111: The voice of temptation

The swamp's surface was extensive, with bones from humans and creatures subtly poking out of the grey sludge. It looked like quite a number of humans and beasts had died within. There were also various ugly and bizarre plants growing within the sludge. Sharp spikes grew on the plants' branches as they swayed aimlessly through the air. It all appeared quite eerie and horrifying.

The large trees around the perimeter were located on the edges of the sludge. When some leaves landed within the sludge, they would disappear without a trace in the blink of an eye, as if there was a demon hidden at the bottom of the sludge that swallowed everything. Waves of disgusting stench were emitted from the sludge and attacked the senses, causing the water mage Aphrodite and female elf Nia to crease their brows and cover their mouths, appearing quite ill at ease.

When everyone's gazes landed into the swamp, Trunks continued explaining, "The plants that live within are all exceedingly dangerous. The swamp will swallow all humans and beasts that venture in, and the stench in the deep regions also contain a slow toxin that drains one's energy. The Medusa that hides within this swamp appears according to its will and is very difficult to handle."

Han Shuo's gaze focused gravely on the large patch of swamp. His forehead creased after hearing Trunks' explanation as he privately weighed his options on how to proceed.

"We don't have the ability to fly and will sink into the ground as soon as we set foot into the swamp. According to what you've told us, the Medusa lives within the swamp and can completely conceal itself beneath the swamp. It can attack or retreat and holds all the advantages. The level of difficulty for us to fight it within the swamp is simply too great." Han Shuo said lowly after he'd put some thought into it for a moment.

Flicking a glance at Han Shuo, Trunks said, "The Medusa's strength greatly increases within the swamp. Even the manticore, a magical creature also of the first rank would be helpless. We don't have the ability to fly and won't be able to injure it much at all, but if the Medusa walks out of the swamp, I think all of us combined will be able to solidly triumph over the Medusa. but according to my knowledge of the Medusa, it won't leave the swamp easily."

"Is there anything that has an increased chance of attracting the Medusa?" Han Shuo asked.

Shaking his head, Trunks said, "I don't know. The Medusa can emit a marvelous sound, and this sound has the power of attracting humans and beasts. It will suddenly attack as soon as humans or beasts get close to the swamp and pull its prey in. Thus, the Medusa has no fear of not having enough food. I don't know what else it needs apart from this."

After remaining silent for a moment, Han Shuo suddenly smiled, "Since this is the case, we can only use the dumbest method. We'll stand guard here and kill its prey as soon as the Medusa makes sound to lure in its prey. I think it'll be unable to resist its hunger after a few discoveries that no prey has approached it and will exit the swamp then. We'll make our move together and kill it then."

"Yes, although this method is dumb, there's no other way. My manticore and I aren't afraid of the Medusa as long as it leaves the swamp. If we add all of you into the mix, I think it'll be impossible for it to escape death."

"Alright, then let's make our preparations."

Several traps and simple fences were set up around the swamp, with everyone finally realizing how all encompassing this task was when they started to undertake it. The swamp was quite vast and it was quite difficult and exhaustive to completely defend it on all sides. The group spent quite a large amount of time before wearily finishing their preparations.

After resting for a night, everyone's ears were plugged the next morning as they took up watch around the perimeter in previously discussed positions. The territory of the swamp was too vast. Even with eight people and one manticore split up, they were still spread a bit thin. Han Shuo also released his three original demons and used them to patrol the surroundings of the swamp, continuously paying attention to the situation.