Chapter 341 - 350

Chapter 341: An ancient magical formation

Celt certainly felt like his luck had run dry lately. Really, it was almost like he was the epitome of bad luck! This trip to the Dark Forest should've been a rich experience, fat with loot and rewards. There was no way he would've expected to encounter setbacks by the dozen.

To begin, the Dark Mantle had seemingly set their eyes on him the second he'd set foot in the Dark Forest. They stuck to him like a bunch of irritating flies, never leaving him or his group unwatched. When he'd finally managed to loot the den of a golden dragon, an elusive expert had come along to pursue him. That battle had cost him his steed, as well as his ear.

Even that fire grand magus Marceau, who he'd taken great effort to invite, had inexplicably disappeared. Her two disciples wouldn't stop nattering about her all day either, so that hadn't helped his mood.

Finally when he'd reached the underground world, Celt had assumed that he could take advantage of his superior forces to easily subdue that creature. Yet once again, he'd encountered a severe setback. Even after three consecutive attempts, they'd failed to occupy the magic crystal mine. Other than three hundred injured men, they'd gained nothing.

In the end, his low numbers had forced him into an alliance with the dark elves that disgusted him so. His pride and arrogance had taken a severe blow in the last few days, and he intended to rectify that shortly. He would vent all his ill humor by seizing the magic crystal mine and thoroughly torturing any lizardmen who dared to block his path.

"Mister Celt, I hope you can appreciate and cherish this opportunity that you've been blessed with. It's not very often we dark elves are willing to work with others." A refined, elegantly attired male dark elf was speaking to Celt. A natural intricate web of creases and folds decorated his left cheek, and a tuft of a beard grew from his chin. All in all, the effect made him look a bit sinister.

This male dark elf's outfit was that of a noble, gorgeous and luxurious. A black magic staff was lazily gripped in his left hand as his slow words reached Celt.

Celt's face clouded over. He ordered the knights to stop when they were about to reach the gourd-shaped mountain guarded by the lizardmen. Turning his head to glance at the elegant male dark elf, he said in a neutral tone, "Distinguished Sir Arlen, you should know that we are acting in mutual benefit this time, and not that I've begged you to come with me."
"Our aim is the magic crystal mine, while you dark elves would be equally happy to see large numbers of the lizardmen eradicated. If that strange creature continues to protect the lizardmen, it won't be an easy matter for you to occupy their territory. That creature is afraid of flame, so I hope you've prepared enough goblin missiles, or we can just turn back right now."

"Mister Celt, rest assured that the sage dark elves are the true masters of this layer. Those cowardly goblins offer us an astonishing number of missiles in tribute every year. That enormous creature will surely be blasted into smithereens." The dark elf Dana was as flirtatious as ever, smiling obsequiously at Celt. Her limpid eyes that were capable of drawing people in, were sweeping up and down his body. Celt secretly swallowed a mouthful of drool that was threatening to leak out the side of his mouth. This wanton woman is alluring alright! However, he naturally wouldn't reveal the unbridled side of him that "gone to war" with a naked Dana in front of his subordinates.

Celt solemnly revealed a charming smile and nodded, "Then I'm relieved. We have gone in thrice and have some understanding of this creature. It seems unable to leave the foot of the gourd mountain. If not, we would have absolutely incurred a much bigger loss in our last three attempts. As the lizardmen are protecting the magic crystal mine, we don't know whether or not that strange creature has evolved from the lizardmen. It looks like an enormous lizard a thousand times larger than the lizardmen and occupies a large area underneath the gourd mountain. You should be careful when you go in, it's best to immediately retreat from the gourd mountain if there's anything you can't handle."