Great Demon King Chapter 401

Chapter 401: The alliance based on benefits

It didn't take Han Shuo much effort to thoroughly understand the situation through the mystical demons snooping around. The one behind this hostility directed at Trunks and the Soul Destroyer was Florida of the Rainbow Sickle mercenary band. The other participants included the House of Menlo as well as Laureton of the Cairo mercenary band.

In this world, there was no eternal friends, only eternal benefits. These words had accurately summed up the situation!
In the past, when Laureton and Florida had been competing for power, Han Shuo and Trunks had sided with Laureton. The night Laureton had been surrounded by the four great powers in the small mountain valley, Han Shuo had even aided him to come out of it alive.
From that time, the Cairo mercenary band and Soul Destroyer mercenary band had close relations with Laureton and Trunks constantly cooperating. In the eyes of outsiders, the Cairo and Soul Destroyer mercenary bands had seemed to have formed an alliance.

However, with the Soul Destroyer rapid development in addition to Han Shuo's blazing reputation in the Lancelot Empire, it had pushed the Soul Destroyer mercenary band to become the fifth great power in the Valley of Sunshine. In the recent days, Trunks killing Butcher Gustav had caused the residents in the Valley of Sunshine to be alarmed. Laureton and Florida who were originally the two most promising contenders for the control over the Valley of Sunshine had finally realized that the situation was delicate.

When one's own interest was threatened, friendship and alliance were as fragile as the vows of politicians. Florida and Laureton immediately joined forces. Since Adam Menlo had been heavily injured by Han Shuo previously, he was extremely happy to also participate in this long-planned insidious scheme.

The result was Trunks being ambushed by Laureton and the rest while on the way back from Janet's place and the mercenaries with him completely annihilated. Trunks himself had been captured alive and imprisoned in a hidden cave within the belly of a mountain valley. The major powers had all sent their experts to keep watch over him.

They didn't immediately kill Trunks because although Laureton and the rest coveted the wealth of the Soul Destroyer mercenary band, they didn't have much information on the detailed layout of the Soul Destroyer mercenary band's base. Therefore, they intended to get it from Trunks' own mouth before making their next move, which would also help decrease the losses on their side.
However, Trunks' tenacity was beyond their expectation. Under the rounds of torture and extortion, he still hadn't revealed any information that they'd wanted. Hence, his body was tormented black and blue till he was on the verge of death.

Presently, in a mansion defended by the Cairo mercenary band within the Valley of Sunshine, the three powers were discussing when to launch their attack on the Soul Destroyer mercenary band. The Soul Destroyer mercenary band had existed in the Valley of Sunshine for a long time. Laureton and the others had long since known its exact location even without Trunks telling them.

Were it not for them not understanding how dangerous the terrain of that area truly was, they'd have already joined hands to wipe out the Soul Destroyer mercenary band, instead of waiting until now to make their move. In the past several days, the three powers had constantly sent people to that region to explore. They had clearly seen the defensive layout on the surface and were about to make a move in a few days.

The major powers in the Valley of Sunshine had been through repeated wars, from which all the parties had sustained a great loss in strength. After Han Shuo had killed light grand magus Ferguson, the relationship between Florida and the Church of Light had been somewhat frail. However, with the existence of the secret silver mine in this area, their relationship slowly stabilized again.
Because of Han Shuo, Calamity Church's dark archmage Edwin naturally wouldn't deal with the Soul Destroyer mercenary band. The Calamity Church and Edwin had originally been cooperating with Laureton, but they had gradually drifted apart. Edwin had sought Trunks out a few times to offer his help, but Trunks had refused his goodwill.