Chapter 78 - 88

A blood battle in the deep alleyways

"Shut your mouth! Don't make unfounded accusations! I had such a deep relationship with my elder brother, how could I possibly kill him? Dear niece, I feel so bad for you since you found a boyfriend that doesn't understand the principles of propriety!" Grover's face changed drastically as he surged to his feet, slamming his hands down on the tabletop and roared angrily.

His expression as usual, Han Shuo lightly laughed and glossed over the matter, "Everyone already knows this. Phoebe is the Guildmaster's only daughter and should be the candidate most qualified to inherit the position of Guildmaster. If she were to be assassinated, who stands to profit?"

"When was it an outsider's turn to talk about the matters of the Boozt Merchant Guild? Phoebe, you should keep this outsider, who doesn't know what he's talking about, in line." Grover glared viciously at Han Shuo as he turned to talk to Phoebe.

At this moment, Phoebe had already calmed down from her earlier panic. She'd always maintained a veneer of civility with Grover, but how was she to know that Han Shuo would have no qualms whatsoever and stand in sharp opposition from the beginning, almost having a throwdown with Grover instantaneously, throwing all her plans into disarray? She didn't know what to do for the span of a moment.

However, just as Han Shuo and Grover were denouncing each other, Phoebe's thoughts churned and she felt that Han Shuo's actions were clear and decisive. Because of his actions, her attitude would clearly be displayed in front of the founding elders. This would also show the founding elders that she wasn't some weak person who wasn't willing to fight for her position.

Except, it was the time to measure her gains and losses. Since Han Shuo had already so sharply announced his stance, there wasn't a way that Phoebe could salvage the situation even if she wanted to. Immediately after Grover's words had been cut off, she said confidently, "Indeed, Uncle Grover, I believe that I have the qualifications to be a competent Guildmaster."

"Although in recent years I have spent my days outside, father has never given up his tutelage of me. The knowledge I have learned is also relevant to operating the Guild. Father has long since arranged all this. I hope you can support me uncle, and teach me if I am found lacking in any places. I am confident that I can take good care of the Guild."

"Good niece, your courage is worth complimenting. However, a matter such as this is not child's play. One misstep is enough to doom the Guild beyond redemption. Uncle is cowardly and cannot afford to shoulder such responsibility." Since they were laying everything out, Grover no longer hid and concealed his intentions as he spoke with a darkened face.

At this moment, Andrew suddenly grasped his cane and tottered to his feet. He spoke in a conciliatory tone, "There's no point in arguing further. How about this... why don't we let little Phoebe try first? If the Guild is still expanding smoothly in her hands after three months, then let Phoebe be the Guildmaster. If not, Grover will continue to be. What does everyone think?"

Since Andrew had spoken, apart from the three founding elders who supported Grover, all the other founding elders expressed their consent. Andrew waited until they all had expressed their opinions before smiling at Grover, saying merrily, "Since the majority has agreed, let's do this for know. What do you think?"

As unwilling as he was, since the majority of the founding elders within the Guild had agreed, Grover had no way of changing the situation. He could only grit his teeth and say with resignation, "Since this is the case, then let's move according to your wishes."

Nodding, Andrew smiled, "Then good. I have a few matters to attend to, so I will be taking my leave. Ah, little Phoebe, I haven't seen you in so long. If you have nothing else to do, come to my house for a chat!"