5.

Much to his surprise, his father wasn't there.

No one was.

The room was empty.

Sebastian wandered around the cavernous space, his head on a swivel as he delved deeper inside. He had never been in the meeting room before. Only the twelve knights had access to it.

A smile bloomed on his lips.

Perhaps Amora was right.

He quickly pushed the thought down. He hadn't even made it through his first mission and was already thinking about becoming a knight. While he was confident in his skills as a caster, being top of his class among other students within House Tenebris, he couldn't let his arrogance get the better of him.

It worked when he dueled and trained, but this was different.

Lives would be on the line, including his own. He had to be focused.

Another breath left his mouth. Keeping his eyes peeled, he walked past the long, oval-shaped table in the center of the room. A dozen black chairs were situated around it—one for each knight. His father's seat sat at the end, larger and more decorative than the others. It was almost like a throne.

After all, Thorian was a king.

Not only of his own house, but of all magicians. If everything happened the way it was supposed to, Sebastian would be too one day.

A chill slithered down his back. Shaking his head, he continued through the room, running his hand along the cool walls as he waited for his father to arrive. As he continued, his eyes settled on a podium in the back of the room. He tilted his head upon seeing a stone hand sticking from the top of the stand.

Huh?

He approached with caution.

As he got closer, the air around him got colder. Unwanted memories of his mother surfaced in his head as he approached it. His steps faltered as a lump formed in the base of his throat. He tried to turn around, but it felt like a strong set of arms locked in place. He wanted to ignore it—whatever it was. But he couldn't. It drew him in like a fish caught on a rod.

Realization spread across his face upon seeing the object sitting in the palm of the stone hand.

The Obscurio. Controller of shadows and the dead. His house's Eldenarian Artifact.

He quickly stole a glance over his shoulder. The room was still empty. He was alone. For now.

Shivering slightly, he gazed at the gleaming black gemstone sitting atop the ring's iron band. He could feel the vitalae swirling around inside, buzzing with dark magic. Dark whispers filled his head.

Go on...take it...

Squeezing his eyes shut, he turned around. He pressed his hands to his ears and begged them to stop. His father would kill him if he caught him touching the ring. Only Thorian was allowed to wield it, for he was the current head of House Tenebris.

It wasn't his to touch.

But still... Immense power hid within that gemstone. The legends said the ring was capable of teaching the wielder of the darkest spells. He believed them. It was how his father had become the most powerful magician on the planet. If he could just hold it for a second, perhaps he could learn something that would help him on the night's mission.

He pursed his lips. Turning slightly, he glanced at the ring.

It beckoned him forward. The whispers returned. They were louder now, almost angry. Within seconds they had reached a fever pitch. Pinpricks stabbed at him from behind his forehead. Wincing, he reached out and snatched the ring off the podium.